Anxiety

I’m having a lumpectomy next fri and my anxiety the past few days have kicked in big time. Keep asking myself why do I have to go through this. I’m scared and nervous for next week.

Just want to run away from it all... 

• its ok to be scared my mum had cancer but she fought it as I say never give up fight for what you believe in don't give up hope you get well soon
  • I too was very anxious, I'm the worst patient ever, and very sqemish. You will be fine with the lumpectomy, the thought is worse than the actual op. I was up and about 3 days after. I'm starting chemo though today and terrified....
  • Thanks. Went for my pre op yesterday making it more really. Trying to get hold of my breast care nurse. Got a few things I want to go over with her. 

Just want it all over and done with now. 

• I had a lumpectomy last August and it was so straight forward. A lot of waiting, I had to be at the hospital ridiculously early and didn’t get the theatre til after 1-30 but I was back on the ward by about half three and eating  tea at five. Went home about 6. Not much pain, paracetamol sorted it. I had lumph nodes taken and that was more tender and took longer to heal. Do the exercises you’ll be given, they’ll get moving quickly and you’ll feel better because of it. 

• Hi Shirley. I had a lumpectomy last feb and it is perfectly normal to be nervous. The anxiety of stepping into the unknown is daunting but you're in the system and being treated. You'll soon be looking back and saying it wasn't that bad. My daughter said to me when I felt like you - "Yes it's scary but think of it as a good thing as they're getting the cancer out and be rid of it." That's very true. Everyone reacts differently and you just need to take it easy and definitely do the exercises given. A goid supportive bra will also help. Let those around you take care of you and just take it easy. One day and one thing at a time. Keep us posted. You got this!