Another newbie

Have been diagnosed with oesaphagus cancer a few weeks ago starting radiotherapy today but basically have said that it is terminal and probably only 6 months to a year my head is spinning don't know what to do first probably like everyone up and down , laughing and crying

•  

Hi Andy,

A very warm welcome to Cancer Chat, the site that nobody really wants to join.

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Knowing that you have a finite time left on this earth is sn enormous shock. It's no wonder your emotions are all over the place. Let the tears flow, as this is a good stress reliever and, with all that you are having to take in, I'm sure that anything that can help is worthwhile. Don't forget that the time scale is just a guesstimate.We are all individuals.  Nobody knows for sure and many people exceed their predicted time by quite a lengthy period.

Try not to look at the bigger bicture. It is easier to deal with this in small chunks. You will find that coping with things on a day=to=day or even hour-by-hour basis, is the best way to deal with all of this, as the enormity of what you have been told is too much to cope with. Instead of worrying about 'how long? try your best to put a more positive slant on things and make memories with family and friends who you may eventually leave behind.

I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer and am currently having tests for skin cancer. I take each day as a bonus and find that a positive outlook is so much easier to deal with in comparison to the negative one I started out with.

How many radiotherapy sessions are you due to have? I sincerly hope that they all go well for you. Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you whenever you want to talk.

Kind regards

Jolamine

• hi Andy,

sorry to hear about your diagnosis, i have just finished treatment for two types of cancer but haven't been given a terminal diagnosis although my friend was and she is still here two years later using meds and still having treatment. 

I don't know what to tell you about how to feel because i don't think that there is any way. me myself, have returned to work even though its painful and my memory doesn't work properly. I want to take my grandchildren away as they have never been on holiday to give them some good memories. Its hard to carry on but you must, trying to be positve helps but sometimes you just want to get things off your chest.

This probably isn't helpful but i thought i would answer you anyway .