Aftercare

Hi

can my family member receive visitors after chemotherapy ? Some one said not!

• Hello High,

A warm welcome to our forum. I just wanted to let you know I have asked our nurses to comment on your post which they will do very soon.

Hopefully our members will also be along soon to share their experience with you of receiving visitors after chemotherapy.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hello High and thanks for your post

As you probably know people are at risk of developing an infection during their chemotherapy treatment especially if their white blood cells are low.Resistance to infection is usually at its lowest 7–14 days after chemotherapy. The number of white blood cells will then increase steadily and usually return to normal before the next cycle of chemotherapy is due.

It's usually fine for your relative to receive visitors but it's probably a good idea to avoid contact with people if they have infections,colds or coughs.

I hope this helps. If you want to discuss this further, you can talk things through with one of us on the helpline. The number to call is freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Kind regards,

Celene