Advice Please xx

Gosh I'm not sure where to start. I am very close to a 59 year old man who has prostrate cancer. He lives by himself and his child is at uni. He is very stubborn. He has been having treatment for prostate cancer and initially it was going well with him being told he should be in remission by Christmas. Unfortunately when he had a recent check up his levels had gone up and they started radiotherapy again. Whereas before the radiotherapy was making him ache for maybe a day and a bit nauseous a few days later, now he is throwing up for hours in end and not in a good way. As a result he is exhausted. He won't accept any offer of help and hasn't told many people about the cancer. Does the increased reaction to the radiotherapy mean he is having a stronger dose. He's in a bad way today and due more in a couple of days time. He also told me he had an operation to remove the cancer a few weeks back. Didn't give too much detail, but apparently "it's fine" but they didn't get all the cancer and if the hospital continue to not be happy he will ge given chemotherapy. I want to support him but he doesn't give me the full picture "I'm fine" when he's clearly not. Why would they remove the cancer now if they didn't do it before? What can he do to help with the sickness? Does testing help as he seems to say there's no point sitting around. Do I leave him to get on with it or do I push him to let me in? 

• Hello and thanks for your post,

What an incredibly difficult position you are in.

I can understand how hard it must be for you wanting to support someone you care about who is reluctant to share what is going on.

Everyone deals with cancer in so many different ways. He does sound like he is having a very difficult time with the sickness. 

Without being involved in his care it is difficult to say why he is getting worse side effects from the radiotherapy this time round. If you  can,  try and encourage him to tell the radiographers and doctors about his sickness as there are so many different medications that they may consider using to control this horrible symptom.

I am sure when he had his surgery the doctors did their best to remove all the cancer cells. Sometimes microscopic cells remain which are not seen by the naked eye and chemotherapy is given to help mop up any cancer cells that remain.

I am not sure what you  mean when you say does testing help?

It is very hard when you  feel constantly rejected. He may be finding it all very difficult to cope with particularly as he does not appear to be sharing this with anyone including yourself.  

I think if you are willing to just let him know that you are around and wanting to support him, that is the best thing that you can do. Sending him regular text messages to tell him that you are thinking about  him.

We have some information on our website with helpful tips on how to try and support someone when they are going through cancer treatment which you can see here

Hopefully as time goes on he will let you, in and so you can share what he is going through but he may not be ready for this at the moment.

I can understand how hard it is also at the moment with covid restrictions still in place in hospital making it hard for partners to accompany patients to appointments and treatment.

Look after yourself and make sure that you are getting support yourself.

We are here as a listening ear if you want to give one of the nurses a ring on the helpline. The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

All the very Best,

Catherine