Advice please

Sorry if this long winded !!

I am being investigated for a bowel problem ( I've had some weight loss , rectal bleeding etc). I am booked for a sigmoidoscopy next week but  i had a CT scan yesterday at 3.20 pm of thorax/ abdomen and received a call from the hospital today .
However no message was left and the phone number was just for the general hospital switchboard  .

I have found out from the CT department that the consultant received my results today so I think it's a bit of a coincidence that  I received a call today and assume it's from the consultant rather than an appointment change for my sigmoidoscopy  next week .

I am assuming that to get a call back within 24 hours is not going to be good news and I just wondered if anyone has had a call as quickly ? I know everyones situation is different - please don't think I am being paranoid as I have had breast cancer (DCIS) 7 years ago where I received a call with the news that I had cancer . It's Murphy's law that it's Friday today and I can't get through to anyone until Monday !!

so my question is - would a consultant normally call a patient within 24 hours with good news or only if there was a problem 

• Hello millie1929, 

What a weekend it must have been for you! Getting that phone call on a Friday with no message left has understandably made you wonder what it all meant. It's really hard to tell though whether this means that there was a problem or whether it was to do with anything else. Hopefully you will hear back from them tomorrow and you will find out what it was all about. 

Keep us updated if you get a chance once you find out more. Everything tightly crossed for you that everything turns out fine for you and that the phone call was nothing alarming. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator