Advice Please??

I am 45 and have been on tamoxifen for nearly six years after having a HER 2 positive breast cancer. After 9 weeks of RT and two lumpectomy's I have been Cancer free for the last 5.5 years and I do absolutely believe that I am one of the very lucky ones.. However, I have suffered with the effects of tamoxifen since 3 months into taking it.. I suffer from excruciating stomach pain once a month normally a week after my cycle which I have spoken on numerous occasions to the oncologist about only to be told to take paracetamol, which barely touches the sides. 3 years ago I started to suffer from severe anxiety, something I've never suffered with and terrible irrational thoughts. I have been on Sertraline for the past 3 years and whilst this helped, in the past nine months my anxiety is back, the sertraline doesn't seem to be effective anymore, I have put on weight yet I hardly eat, I am constantly tired, my bones ache and my breasts are constantly sore... I feel like I live in a constant brain fog and truthfully im depressed with feeling like c*** 3 weeks out of four. I have now been signed off from the cancer checks as I've been more than three years clear and my GP just tells me that it's all side effects from the tamoxifen.. I know that continuing to take this awful drug is really what I need to do, but when you feel terrible 3 weeks out of 4, I really do question that it's really the best thing for me, my mental health and my wellbeing.. Does anyone have the same issues?? What are people's thoughts?? I know it's a wonderful drug, and it does what it's supposed to do, but I honestly can't do this for another 4 years!! HELP??

• Hi there ...

I was given tamoxifen after my masectomy for grade three breast cancer in 2017 .... fine for a few months then gradually got so bad I didn't want to get up .... I hurt 24/7 .. till the thought of staying on it was unbearable... I managed about 2 years ...

So I went into finding out more info ... I was told tamoxifen gives us 3% better chance of no reacurance.. 3 % .... well for me that made no sense staying on it ... I had no life any way .. so gradually stopped it cutting down over a month ... slowly I got my life back ... now I'm 4 years down the line and like you feel really lucky ... I know it sits on our shoulders waiting .. but at least now I can function...

I'm not saying stop it ... but I do think you should research the FACTS  for yourself and make your own mind up ... there's so many on here that have such horendious time on it ... but it's up to everyone to do what they think .. whatever you decide don't look back ... no one is promised tomorrow.... so what I do is take every day as a bonus.... and don't look at what ifs ..   Chrissie  x