ADVICE PLEASE

My Dad has been diagnosed with bowl cancer which has spread to his liver and in the words of the the Dr 'probably elsewhere given that he has a lump in his abdomen'.  He described it as advanced and said that there is no treatment available for him.  I asked about radiotherapy and that wasn't an option and in respect of chemotherapy, he said in order to do that my Dad would have to have a biopsy taken from his liver first (to confirm), which is quite invasive and has its own risks.  We have been sent away with a lot of leaflets but my question is what happens now for my Dad?  He is not in any pain, just weak due to weight and muscle loss, but is going about his daily business.  I'm worried about what is now going to happen.  Is he suddenly going to be in a lot of pain or collapse?  Will he just get progressively weaker until the point that he cannot move?  Do we just wait and deal wth things as they arise?  It's unbelievably traumatic to return from an appointment with such news.  if anyone has experience or advice, it would be appreciated.  

• Hi - I would get in touch with Marie Curie so they can visit and see if your Dad would like someone to be there at night for him , the nurses are fantastic , also peace of mind for yourself . Speak with you local GP regards Social services where someone can come in to check on him in the morning and at night , talk to your Dad as parents  tend to say that don’t want any help , say it’ll put your mind at rest . There’s also Macmillan cancer trust who can have a buddy for either yourself or your Dad , you can have weekly chats face to face in your own home , they can also guide  you on what type of help is out there and what type of allowances Dad is allowed  as it’ll be handy later on . We used my Dads to get a wheel chair and other aids for the house . Try not to delay as when things happen out of the blue you’ll only end up panicking  and wishing you’d organised help earlier . All the best and take care .

Phil 

• That's very helpful - Thank you Phil, I really appreciate it.