Advice please?

This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can put my mind at ease?

i have had a lump on the back of my neck for years, it's been checked regularly and last time approx 4 years ago there was no blood flow to it, so was told best leave it.

last week I was stung by a wasp randomly the lump felt different so I went to the doctors who said to leave it 4 weeks, but I asked if I could be seen as I'm a worrier!

things are tough enough without worry!

i went today and the clinic scanned it and said they think it's a node and best to remove it under local anaesthetic which I'm happy to actually be rid of it after about 14 years!

my consultant said when I asked him should I worry? No? And that he'd be very surprised if it was anything to cause concern, it's more to prevent keep checking it...

that said I'm going crazy with worry and mind chatter, I'm quite a sensible person thinking that consultants would say if they suspected something and don't say things they don't stand by?

i also think that they would say? Anyone else have some light on this before I make myself crazy? I know there are people with proper worries but I'm just wanting someone to be my sane thoughts!!!!

• Hi jpresto30,

Welcome to Cancer Chat. I would encourage you to listen to what the doctors have said so far - they don't seem concerned about it, and as you say they would have said so if they were. Especially as you've had it checked a few times over the years, try not to worry too much. It's good that you've had it checked again, and hopefully gettng it removed will now provide some peace of mind.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator