Advice needed

Hi me & hubby have just come back from hospital and he has rectal cancer ,they are not sure at this stage whether he will have chemo 1st or after the op ,we are wondering how long will he have to have chemo before he has the op ? I am still recovering from stage 2 invasive breast cancer and was grateful I didn’t need chemo or radiotherapy just a mastectomy & reconstruction & tablets for 5years ,we have been through so much already and it just seems never ending, we would love to book a short break away with our elderly dog ,I know lots about breast cancer but not rectal ,any advice will be much appreciated.

• Welcome to the forum Jack36 although I'm really sorry to read that your husband has just been diagnosed with rectal cancer.

Your husband's medical team will be in the best position to answer your question so do make sure you bring it up with them the next time you meet. In the meantime you're more than welcome to chat to our cancer nurses about anything else playing on your mind. Their freephone number is 0808 800 4040 and they're available Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m.

I've included some general information we have on our website about rectal cancer for you and your husband to have a look at as well.

I hope this helps and I wish you well with your continuing recovery from breast cancer. 

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator