Advice needed!

My dad has been diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer and we are awaiting further tests to determine treatment plans and timescales etc. As my Grandfather died of the same cancer my dad feels that he is in the late stages and won’t be here much longer from what he has told my partner. 

Myself and and my partner are hoping to get married and want him to be here for it of course so we have provisionally  booked a date however my dad has now said that he doesn’t know if he’ll make it due to us not knowing his treatment plan. 

I know that this may seem selfish but I don’t know what to do in terms of a wedding as of course I want him to be there especially as he is my world and my sole parent but I feel that if we let this date go we may not get another venue at short notice. 

I feel also that it would give my dad something to look forward to if we booked it officially  

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you. 

• Get married sooner, while your dad is still able to attend. The venue doesn't matter. A wedding is about people not fripperies. That's what I'd do, given the way I think.

Best Regards

Taff

• I have been caring for my husband for over a year with duodenal cancer and recently hospice came on board. 

I would suggest you keep the date you have so he had something to look forward to and a reason to live longer. That is what my husband had been doing since hospice came in — setting goals. He just met one of them — his birthday on Feb 9 and now he’s set a new one. 

Hope this helps and congratulations!!

• Thank you for your reply. 

When I told my dad, he said not to book anything until he knows his treatment plan but I don’t know how long that will take. 

I agree that I should book it so he has something to look forward to but I don’t want to pressurise him either!