Advice

Hi everyone.

im 24 and the last 4 months I've a small hard lump size of probably two peas under my skin, you can feel it well but isn't really that noticeable to see. It's just behind my my ear lobe about finger width away from the ear. My doctor says it's nothing just by a quick examination but I'm very paranoid about it especially that I lost my mom 18 month ago to cancer at only 42 year of age because she was misdiagnosed... do ye think I'm overthinking this, or should I look into it more I don't know what to do. Any advice greatly appreciated 

• Hi Vicky,

I am so sorry to hear about your mum. With this being so recent, you are naturally concerned. You are perfectly entitled to ask for a second opinion and I sincerely hope that you get the same reply.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hello Vicky98,

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to hear about the worry you have about these lumps behind your ear and also about losing your mom to cancer, this must be a difficult time for you. 

When someone you love dies of cancer it can lead to you wondering if this may also happen to you.  In most circumstances, the risk of developing cancer isn't passed down to family members. You could speak with your GP about the history of cancer in your family if you are worried.  We also have information on our website having a family history of cancer, you can see it here  

You did the right thing in going to see your GP about these lumps. If your doctor was concerned, they would have referred you for tests. Do not touch them as this could aggiate them and make them worse. And if after a couple of weeks they are still there then go back and let your GP or another GP in the practise know. 

If your doctor isn't concerned then do ask them why they are not, hearing this may give you more reassurance about this not being serious. 

Please get back to us if you need any more information or support.  You may find it helpful to talk things through with one of the nurses on our helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Take care,

Caroline