Advice

Hi, my 38 year old sister has been diagnosed with grade 3 Her2 positive breast cancer. She was diagnosed with breast cancer on 16th November after a scan then has further tests, biopsy and mammogram to confirm and grade. She has an appointment this week with the oncologist. She has been told she’s been referred as urgent but this seems to be taking ages, she’s spoken to her nurse today who has hinted her chemo will start in the new year. She needs the chemo before surgery as the tumour is quite large and aggressive. I’m trying to find information on when chemo normally starts as this seems to me like a very long time to wait for a lump that has almost appeared from no where and is aggressive.

How long do people normally wait for their chemo or surgery??

• Hey, 

I'm really sorry to hear about your sisters diagnosis.I hope you are ok, if you need to chat too we are here to help. I know it can seem like forever when your waiting for something important to get going, I was the same when I was diagnosed, I was diagnosed in late september, I had many appoimntments with my surgeon and doctors before we went ahead, I didnt have my surgery until the 8th of November and my cancer was rare and aggressive. Try not to worry, it seems like ages and it is really but if they thought your sister needed treatment sooner im sure they would be doing it quicker, there is a time scale that they have to do it in (according to my doc) so it wont be much longer im sure. They may be just putting the final bits into place is all. I hope everything goes well, and if you need any thing please don't hesitate. 

Bex 

• Thankyou, I hope your recovering well and have a good support system around you..

she has a date for chemotherapy now, starts next week, and will have l 6 or 7 rounds then will have the op. It feels like forever but I suppose it’s not really.. she has just had results from a ct scan and it hasn’t spread, but by chance they have found an aneurism near her pancreas so she has to have more scans for that tomorrow so just hoping this doesn’t delay her treatment any further!!Xx

• Thank you, I have good family and friends so I do have a good support network :) It does seem a long time at the start but for me and a lot of the people I had treatment with, once it starts time goes quite quickly, I remember thinking after the first one just 5 more to go and after the 2nd 4 more to go and so on. Each session over with is like a milestone and before you know it, it will be all over and done with. I hope her side effects are at their minimum going through it. I hope you both are feeling ok as you can be, and I wish you the best in eveything ahead of you. Thats brilliant news it hasn't spread :) How did her first chemo session go? I hope her side effects arent too bad. Oh bless her, that was lucky in a way, hopefully they can treat is quick and simply so it wont delay anything definitley. I am sorry for the late reply, for some reason my notifications have been a bit tempremental! I wish a very Happy new year for you and your family, my thoughts are with you xx