Advice

Hi,

Im new to this site and was wondering if anybody could possible give me some advice.

I am 47 years old and was diagnosed with breast cancer in January.

Ive had chemotherapy then had a mastectomy (after a failed reconstruction) and lymph node removal. The next step is radiotherapy, but after seeing my oncologist today I am left a little confused and was wondering if anybody could help me.

Im due to have radiotherapy to my chest and neck (as was planned from the beginning of my diagnosis) but due to having 5 lymph nodes removed with 3 having cancer in them they have told me that after the biopsy of them that it looks like I still have cancerous cells that are in my fatty tissue under my arm. My choice now is whether I have radiotherapy in my armpit too but there is a 1 in 5 chance that I could then get Lymphoedema. 

I’ve been told that without the radiotherapy to my armpit there is a slight chance that the cancer can return but if I have the radiotherapy there is a 1 in 5 chance I could live my life with Lymphoedema. 

Has anyone had to make this choice or could help give me some advice.

many thanks

Lynn x

•  

Hi Lynn,

I see that this is your first post so welcome to Cancer Chat. I am sorry to hear that your reconstruction didn't work out for you. This must have been very disappointing.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 8 years ago and had a lumpectomy followed by Tamoxifen. The following year I found a second lump in the same breast and had a double mastectomy followed by Letrozole for 6 years. I developed Lymphoedema in both arms after this despite not having chemo or radiotherapy.

It is not a pleasant thing to have but you can live with it if you need the radiotherapy to save your life. I am fortunate enough to attend a lymphoedema clinic where they help me to manage my condition.

You are facing a difficult choice and I hope that you make the right one. Sady, only you can make this decision once you have all the necessary information to hand.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Jolamine,

Thank you SO very much for your response I really appreciated it.

Lynn X