advice

Hi My brother had a kidney removed 10 years ago due to cancer then 2 years later he got a lung removed again due to cancer, and he has now been informed that his other kidney now has cancer and has also spread to his lymph nodes and is stage 4 and terminal.

I know it is hard as i just cant cope knowing how long he has left as we go on holiday in aug but was told we can still go can any one advise on how long you normally have .

• Hello Harkness. 

I'm really sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis. Understandably it's a really difficult time. 

It's impossible for anyone to say how quickly this may progress. Your brother's Dr may have given an estimation but it is an estimation. I thought one of our other members on the forum put it very well when they recently said that "every body is different". And that's true. Everyone reacts and responds differently to their illness and to any treatment that may be given to them. 

Try not to focus on how much time you have left with your brother, but to focus on making each day as memorable and happy as you can. This is time to make those memories, be it the big ones like going on holiday together or the small ones such as sitting in the sunshine enjoying the peace with each other. 

If posting here helps you to cope then you are very welcome to come and offload your thoughts and feelings. Chatting with others who understand can certainly make things easier. 

Sending you, and your brother, our best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator

• Hi harness hope you don't mind but I'm a bit puzzled have they mentioned having operation and going on dialysis,.

Billy 

• Hi Billy to explain better he has already had 1 kidney and a lung removed as well as a replacement heart valve fitted which is also leaking and he is not fit for any op, as i said it is now in his other kidney but has spread to his lymph nodes and is terminal.stage 4
  • Hi Jenn many thanks for your kind words much appreciated.

• Sorry didn't realise heart problems as well, my brother in law had both kidneys out at different times and some lymph nodes removed years ago then went on dialysis for years before transplant, best wishes. 

Billy