Advice

Hello all

I'm after a little bit of advice.  My mum has been diagnosed with a lump pressing on her lung and another on her adrenal gland.  She has had a biopsy and now she is waiting for her appointment to see what happens next.  She hasn't let anyone accompany her to any appointments but has agreed to me going with her to this one as there is sure to be lots of information.  I wouldn't dream of letting my Mum go on her own but I'm ashamed to say I am so scared of what they are going to say ( I'm sure im not as scared as her) and holding it together if it's bad news. I want to be there for her and not let her down so any advice gratefully received.

• Hello! Firstly I am very sorry to hear what your mother is going through. It is a stressful worrying time for your mother and all the family and I know the upcoming appointment is going to make you feel obviously anxious. All I would say, is try to remain positive! The NHS are amazing and the departments within it are outstanding. If there is anything suspect, further tests will immediately be done. If there is anything sinister, you'll be seen very quickly and the cancer team, nurses, doctors, surgeons (all of whom involved) are excellent at what they do. I'm 28 and had a lump on my neck 1 months ago, went for an ultrasound and biopsy- 2 days later was booked in for an MRI scan and CT scan and then the following day, which my mum and wife attended, was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer. Exactly 1 week later I was operated on and here I am 2 weeks post op and the cancer seemingly cured. What I am trying to say is that everyone you encounter are experts at what they do and your mother will undoubtedly get the best attention that she deserves. Cancer is only a word and can be beaten! Remain positive, as my wife worrying was what made me worry- I was the one saying "il be fine".. my heart goes out to you! Stay strong and I'm sure it will all be ok. The support I received was nothing short of outstanding. Much love and thoughts, Scott
  • Hello Scott I am so glad you are on the mend. Thank you so much for your positive outlook and advice. I will try to stay strong for my Mum. It actually helped putting my thoughts into words rather then them going round in my head. I hope you recovery continues smoothly and again thanks for replying it helps to know someone is listening.
  • Hello

I have recently had breast cancer.On the day of my results my mum came with me.

We were both worried and on results day mum came with me.

Just knowing she was there to support me was such a help.

We both got emotional and didnt really take anything in other than the fact i had cancer and needed mastectomy.

The nurses and surgeon were fantastic and before i left i was seen by the breast cancer nurse who explained everything and gave me booklets to take away.

I was also given a number to call if i needed any advice.

All i can say is just be there when your mum needs you for support .If you do receive bad news ,stay strong and keep positive.Cancer can be beaten .

Thinking of you both xx