Advice

I am looking for advice. 

I have been referred to ENT due to a prolonged sore throat. 

My GP has told me that she can see a white lump an the back of the throat ang an enlarge in my lymph nodes. 

Having now read the symptoms and some of the other symptoms ae present.

I am a vegitarian but want to ensure i make some changes regardless of the outcome.Is there any foods that I should be avoiding or indeed anything i should start eating.

• Hello Psul,

A warm welcome to Cancer Chat!

I just wanted to let you know that I have asked our nurses to respond to your message which they will do very soon. I am sure they will have some good advice for you!

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hello Psul,

Thanks for posting a question. I am sorry to learn about your situation. I am one of the nurses and our moderator Lucie wondered if we could provide you with any useful information.

However, there is not really much in the way of specific advice that I can offer you. This is mainly because I don’t know what is the matter. There are a number of conditions that can cause white spots or lumps at the back of the throat and any infection could cause the glands to become enlarged. So all I can really do is only provide you with general information about healthy diets.

There is evidence to suggest that lifestyle can have an influence on the development of some cancers. But when someone does have cancer which hopefully you don’t, there is not really any strong evidence to suggest that changing the diet can treat an existing cancer or make it less likely to come back. But if people are able to eat a healthy diet, clearly it makes sense. This is because a good diet has many health benefits and it can assist recovery from cancer treatments or other treatments.

We have some general information about diet and cancer on our website  here. This has useful information about diet and cancer and also what constitutes a healthy diet. There is also some useful information about diet and health on the NHS choices website.

I am sorry that I cannot be more specific but I hope that the information in the links is useful. Do get back to us if you have any other questions. If you would like to telephone our freephone number is 0808 800 4040. We are here from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am to 5pm.

Kind regards,

Jean