Advanced Prostate Cancer

My Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer has now transformed to Advanced Prostate Cancer result in the disease now travelling to the spinal column. My Oncologist has recommended additional hormone treatment in the form of Abiraterone acetate (Zytiga) to be taken alongside the  3-monthly injections of the hormones started over 12 months ago when Cancer was diagnosed. I've been told that there can be considerable side-effects caused by the new drug. Has anyone any experience / comments?

• Welcome to Cancer Char Yme although I'm sorry to read that your advanced prostate cancer has made its way to your spinal column.

I know you're hoping to hear from others who have experience of this cancer drug so I've had a quick look around the forum and found [@joeven]‍ and‍ [@sadcat]‍. Now that I've mentioned them in this post they'll hopefully pop by when they can to say hello and share their thoughts and advice.

We do have some information about the possible side effects of Abiraterone acetate (zytiga) on our website just here but do feel free to give our cancer nurses a call if you'd like to chat to someone about this. Their lines are open Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m on 0808 800 4040.

I hope this helps and all goes well if you do decide to go with your oncologist's recommendation of trying Abiraterone alongside your hormone injections.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi yme hope you are still on the go been trying to find someone with same problems as me be nice to hear from you soon. 

Billy