Acute Multiple myeloma, stage 3

Last month my uncle detected with, Multiple myeloma he is undergoing chemotherapy, his kidneys are not working properly. he is on dialysis after every 3rd day. can any one tell whether his kidney functions back to normal function,Currently his Creatinine level is 10 please give me information regarding this.  

• Welcome to Cancer Chat Shirish although I'm sorry that your uncle has been diagnosed with multiple myeloma.I just wanted to let you know that I have made our cancer nurses aware of your post and they will respond to you within the next few days. 

Kind Regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hello and thanks for posting,

I’m afraid I can’t tell you what will happen to your uncle’s kidney function. It may improve, but only time will tell. It would be worth asking the doctors as they know more about you uncle’s situation and should be able to tell you more.

In myeloma the kidneys can be damaged because the myeloma blood cancer cells make too many proteins which clog up the little tubules in the kidney. With treatment for the myeloma, which reduces the number of proteins, the kidneys can recover, at least to some extent, but I don’t know what will happen.

Creatinine is made by muscles as they work and removed by the kidneys.  So it is one measure of how well the kidneys are working, but you can’t work out how things will go from one test result.

Myeloma is quite a complex condition. If you would like to read more about it, we have more information about it on our website at this link .

I hope things go well for your uncle,

Take care

Julia

• Hi my dad was diagnosed in December last year n the only reason they found it was because his kidneys were failing. He also is on dialysis 3 times a week and they did think he shud improve but unfortunately he reached a remission and his kidneys still didn't function any better. Every one is different and I hope ur uncles kidneys improve but as I said it will b unknown if there will b improvement