Abnormal smear after 6 months repeat

hi

i had minor changes about 7 months ago on a routine smear test, returned for my next one on the 5th August 2019. My results arrived 20th August with the result that there were major changes that required further investigation, saying I would hear from the colonoscopy clinic within 8/9 weeks. The letter had actually came the same day as smear one with an emergency appointment with Gynaecology & colonoscopy for the 27th August!! I’ve been having maybe longer intermittent periods..heavier discharges & what I thought was thrush (as I have had this in the past). I have a dull back ache and cramp & numbness in my right thigh!

im so anxious as to why the urgency and the fact the whole things progressed in just over 2 weeks

any advice would be so good 

thanks xx

• Hi xxADJxx,

Welcome to Cancer Chat - although I'm sorry to read about your worries at the moment. Firstly, try not to connect all your symptoms together as they may be unrelated.

I'm unsure as to why you've been given an urgent appointment - it is likely that they're keen to find out more based on the result of the smear test. There's only so much that a smear test can show, so any tests you have at your next appointment will help your medical team - and you - to find out more.

Try not too worry too much - although I know this is easier said than done. It's good that you hopefully won't have too much longer to wait until you find out more.

I hope the appointment goes well tomorrow.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator