90 year old, abnormal fit test

I am 90 years old and have had an abnormal fit test, my gp is referring me the the hospital and has done blood tests. My dr says it is difficult to perform a colonoscopy on someone my age, does anyone know why this is and what alternative there is to investigate this for me.

I went to the dr because I'm having constipation and diarrhoea and very uncomfortable.

thank you for reading this.

• Dennis this might be a question for the nurses on here ,but you might have to wait until Monday now as they aren't available over the weekend ,I've had a colonoscopy and the most difficult part was having to drink the liquid that clears your bowel before the colonoscopy ,its quite a lot to drink over a period of time but I think ive heard of some sort of scan that can be used ,I'm sure the nurse will be along next week to answer your questions .

• Should I move this to the nurses part?

• Hello dennis2411

I will move this post to our Ask the Nurses topic area for you and let them know. If you'd like to give them a call on Monday you're welcome to contact them on 0808 800 4040, Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm. 

Best wishes 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator 

• I would leave it in here over the weekend as I'm sure others will comment at some point and in my experience the nurses usually see it anyway ,I would just play it by ear Dennis there's also a phone number for the nurses which you can call them next week if they don't post but I'm sure they will .

Jenny 

• Dennis there is a scan that can be carried as an alternative to a colonoscopy if this procedure isn't suitable for an individual. I can't remember what it's called but the screening nurse I saw on Wednesday this week told me about it. I would definitely ask your doctor, he should know. Best wishes.

• Thank you, I'm going to try to speak to my dr again, I was a bit shocked when I went for my results. 
    I also wonder why a colonoscopy is unlikely because of my age?

• I have spoken to my gp on the phone today, she says that colonoscopy becomes more difficult at my age and the risk of perforating is quite high. I now wait to hear from the hospital as to what action they intend.

• Hello Dennis2411,

I am assuming it was your GP that told you they were unsure if you would be able to have a colonoscopy because of your age.  Although I can't be certain why they said this, sometimes older people may have other conditions that might make the colonoscopy or the preparation for it difficult.  But It will be the colorectal doctor (at the hospital) who decides what test you would need and whether you are well enough for a colonoscopy. 

You can read more about what a colonoscopy is and how it is carried out on our website here 

Sometimes it is possible to do a CT colonography  if a colonoscopy isn't possible.  With this type of scan if something suspicious is seen then you may still need to have a colonoscopy so that a biopsy could be done.

You will have an opportunity to discuss your situation about any tests you may need to have. If you do find out that a colonoscopy is not possible then it should be explained to you.

Please get back to us if you need any more information or support.  You may find it helpful to talk things through with one of the nurses on our helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Take care,

Caroline 

• I've been told my fit test is 18, and will be seeing a consultant for a consultation only? Is this the normal route after a test of 18 ?

• Hello and thank you for getting back to us again,

I can appreciate you want to find out the cause of your bowel symptoms but as  Nurse Caroline said the doctors may be reluctant to do a Colonoscopy on someone in their 90's and there are other tests that the consultant may be able to suggest. 

Seeing the consultant will also give the doctor a chance to assess your physical health and to work out the investigations that will work best for you.

You may find it more helpful to give the nurses a ring on our helpline so we can talk it through. 

We are here Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and our Freephone number is 0808 800 4040.

All the best,

Catherine