9 week wait for urgent referral!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I went to my GP on 21 Feb having found a sizeable lump in my left breast. My nipple has also been bleeding. She examined me, immediately said she would urgently refer me to the hospital, and I'd be seen within 2 weeks. 2 weeks came and went, not a cheep, so I phoned the hospital, only to be told that all urgent referrals are currently taking 8-9 weeks. Staff shortages apparently. I'm out of my mind with worry. I lost both parents to cancer when they were fairly young, and my mum lost her battle in large part because of the late diagnosis. I don't know how I'm going to cope waiting another 6-7 weeks.  My mental health is really suffering right now. I've got 4 young children who need me, and I'm trying to be as normal as possible for them, but this is agonising. Anyone else had to wait this long ?

• Hi,

Make a fuss. Write a formal letter of complaint to the Trust's Chief Exec, CC it to your MP, CCG Chair and your local councillor.

Meanwhile go back to your GP and explain the situation - he/she may be able to refer you to another Trust which is capable of providing the appropriate service. You have a right to choose under the NHS Constitutin. Choice is easier if you live in a major city with a choice of hospitals nearby than if you live in say Cumbria or Cornwall but you still have a choice.

Good luck

Dave

• So sorry you'te going through this OP. NICE guidelines clearly state that all referrals for suspected cancer must be see within 2 weeks. I'm a medical secterary and process 2 week wait referrals all the time. Your trust are breaching these strict requirements. Complain to your GP and if necessary get referred to another trust (your right). 

• Thank you both so much for replying. I'm in Scotland, where apparently the 2 week period is a guideline and not mandatory as it seems it is in other parts of the UK. That's what the hospital told me today anyway. I also asked about going to another Trust with a shorter waiting list, because I know someone who had a hip op in a different trust due to long waiting times, but I was told today that wasn't possible (although that doesn't seem to gel with all that I've read online). It's just so stressful. I've convinced myself it's serious and the idea of something growing in my for another 7 weeks before I even get an appointment is horrifying x

• I had no idea it was different in Scotland OP, that is really not good. Could you contact someone at your CCG (clinical commissioning group) to make absolutely sure? It must be so hard to wait with 4 young children - do you have a partner/good friends to share this with? I've been referred on a 2 week wait for skin cancer and I know how scary the wait can be. I won't tell you not to worry but perhaps go back to your GP and ask for some help because you're finding it hard to cope - she might prescribe a short course of Diazepam. Please try not to google and wishing you strength. 

• Hi Mamma,

Sorry for assuming you were in England. My advice is the same about raising a stink, you just need to change the bodies involved slightly - MP, MSP, Regional NHS Health Board. You might ask how come you have lower standards in Scotland than England - that should trigger a reaction. Your GP is still key to unlocking this though.

Good luck
    Dave

• Hi, yes my husband is being super supportive, so I'm lucky to have that. But it's just so stressful. 9 weeks is such a long time to have this hanging over you, especially when you know it should be 2 weeks. My mind is working overtime. I've been signed off work because I have a very stressful and demanding job and i just can't concentrate on it just now, but for all that that is good, it also gives me a lot of time to think about everything, which isn't a good thing!  I've contacted my MSP so I feel better for having done that. Guess I'll just need to try to keep sane and focus on looking ahead. x

• Good morning Mamma, so glad you have your husband. Even if you're not at work you have your 4 children to occupy you! It is a long time to wait and not know what's going on but a few weeks won't affect any diagnosis (know that's not much help). Do you have an actual appointment date yet? Lean on those you love and know you're not alone. All the best.

• Sorry to hear you have found a lump, it's always a worry to be seen. Maybe phone or write a letter explaining the situation and someone may be able to help.

I am also in Scotland, and got referred middle of December with my appointment finally next week. I have pains in by breast and arm pit, and also in my back now. 

Waiting is definitely the worst part so far, but try to keep busy and occupied xx

• Hi mamma 

I live in Scotland too.  The time you are being asked to wait is outrageous.  Please go back to your GP and ask to be referred elsewhere. It's a piece of nonsense that urgent referrals in Scotland are not a mandatory 2 weeks.  I know you have enough on your plate at the moment, but if you can manage to sum up the energy contact your MP.  I will be thinking about  you, and keeping an eye on your posts.  Take care.

Madeleine 

• Hi Madeleine,

I went back to my GP, who contacted the hospital, but was told nope, it's a 9 week wait for all urgents, and there's no prospect of being referred to another NHS board. Soooooo. I just can't cope with that, so I've dug deep and now have an appointment with a private hospital in Glasgow this week. My mental health just wasn't going to withstand a wait until the end of April for a hospital appointment.  I'm horrified that I've had to go to these lengths, but it is what it is. I'm just lucky I'm able to do that. I'll sleep a bit easier this week knowing I'm at least going to be seen by someone. I've emailed my MSP (did that last Wed) but still waiting for a response........ xx