33 weeks pregnant and swollen lymph nodes

Hello, 

This is my first pregnancy and I’ve pretty much spent most of it terrified thanks to my lymph nodes. Since I was 6 weeks pregnant I developed a constant lump like feeling in my throat, pressure and tenderness in my neck leading me to retch and cough constantly. The right side of my neck is worse than my left and I would on and off feel a sore spot in my throat on the right hand side. Also my WBC has been very high throughout my pregnancy and when this was first discovered my doctor used the words ‘checking for something sinister’ frequently. I have seen an ENT who did a laryngoscopy and said I had angry vocal cords from Silent reflux and told me my neck felt ‘entirely normal’ I was then referred to a haematologist who diagnosed me with neutrophilia which apparently can be common in some pregnant ladies. After a few months on antacids the lump feeling in my throat has almost disappeared and the pressure in my neck did slightly also. However I still wasn’t happy with the outcome so I had an ultrasound done and was told I had reactive lymph nodes on both sides, worse on my right and that they weren’t anything of concern. And my gp dismissed it going any further. I resist touching my neck however I did today and I felt that my nodes on either side had become slightly more prominent. I’m very stressed again, I feel like no one can tell me why my nodes have been swollen for over 6 months and am worried that a greater issue is being ignored. I have not been ill at all during my pregnancy and the sensation goes away when I eat or chew gum. Any help would be much apreciated as the doctors keep just giving me helplines for stress. I’m hoping that as I didn’t suffer from any of this before I was pregnant that it’s something to do with the pregnancy and all the changes in my body.

Thank you. 

• Hello elisajulia86,

First of all congratulations on your pregnancy this is wonderful news but I am sorry to hear you have been so stressed about your lymph nodes and I hope this hasn't spoiled the enjoyment of your pregnancy too much. Only 6/7 weeks to go now before you give birth and as you say pregnancy causes so many changes in your body that it may have had an impact. Have you mentioned this to your midwife? Do ask your midwife and your doctor whether this could be related to the fact you are pregnant and I am sure they will be able to tell you more about this.

It's good you mentioned it to your doctor and that they carried out several tests and I hope you feel reassured by your ultrasound results. Perhaps it would be worth seeing a different doctor just to get a different opinion as this has been causing you so much anxiety. You could ask for example whether they think this could be related to your pregnancy and if it is likely to go away after you've had your baby.

Try and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy it won't be long now before your baby comes.

Do keep us updated with how things progress for you and we look forward to hearing some lovely baby news in a few weeks! We hope it all goes well for you for the remainder of your pregnancy.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi! How did everything turn out? I am 36 weeks and have similar symptoms. Would love to hear your story!

• Hi, sorry just saw that you had posted! Once my daughter was born all the symptoms disappeared apart from my swollen lymph node remained swollen. I've had them scanned and they have been declared reactive and not of concern. However once I stopped breastfeeding my daughter I developed tender lymph nodes in my armpit now. So I'm obviously someone who is prone to this! Waiting to go to breast clinic to find out if it's more of the same, I'm optimistic though as these ones are actually tender and I was sick recently. My white blood count returned to normal levels also. The upper end of normal but the GP said that this was probably my normal. Hope this helps!