27 with a mass in my lung!

I'm 27 years old with three year old twin girls. I've not been well, tired, sickness etc and last week I got a pain in my left hand side. After going to the doctor's the last few days have been full of endless blood tests, chest x-rays and a CT scan. They've found a mass in my top left lung. They're sending me for a PET scan and biopsy as soon as they can. I'm scared to death. Reading up that only 5% survive. I cannot bare the thought of leaving my amazingly clever, beautiful girls. Please help me. Even if it's not what I'd want to hear I need to have some idea of what could be waiting for me. 

• So sorry to hear this, cancer is awful no matter what age you are but it seems even more unfair when you are so young. 

Last July at 35 I was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer that had spread to my liver. They told me any treatment would be palliative and that I cannot be cured. I have a 12 year old son who the thought of leaving behind terrifies me perhaps this is why I refuse to give up. If only 5% survive then why can’t you be in that 5%? You are young and have so much to fight for. 

From my experience you will get sent a letter to meet with an oncologist and they will go through your options with you. Chemotherapy is not as awful as it seems, you meet all sorts of people with positive stories while you are there and although the side effects are not nice if it keeps you here then it’s worth it.

There are new breakthroughs with cancer all the time, you just need to make sure you’re here to access them when they become available.

Ive had 15 chemotherapy sessions now, my bowel cancer has practically gone and the liver tumours continue to shrink, it’s a long shot but if they get small enough I may be able to have surgery to cut them out which would extend my life expectancy dramatically. 

The first few weeks are very hard, I felt numb and very angry that life is so cruel and unfair but you get through it.

I wish you lots of luck with your treatment, feel free to message with any questions or if you just want someone to offload on xxxx 

• Hi there Emmylou....

Oh my, my heart goes out to you ... it's even more scary with little ones ...  but there's lots of us here, all with cancer or caring for someone with cancer.... and the one thing we all have in common, is trying to kick cancers butt ... yes it's crule... no compation ... doesn't care about age ...

It wants us all to crumble ... so we give in ... googling these things always gives worse case sinarios... makes us even more afraid ... my googled diagnosis was pretty dia too ... but I got my boxing gloves on and looked cancer in the eye .. like lots of us on here .. being brave is feeling scared witless but still doing what you have to anyway ... 

It's a rocky road .. but many here are in this boxing ring.... your not alone .. try imagining you've got those gloves on ... and your gonna put up a fight .. wer all here with you ..

I had a grade 3 breast cancer nearly two years ago... I'm still here fighting .. lots push these limits ... some on here with terminal diagnoses ... years on, still in the ring ... we are here for you .... 

Have you got a good support system around you ... that will help you though ... come on let's kick it's *** together ...  Chrissie xx

• I’m so sorry to hear that you are going through this. My mum has just been diagnosed with lung cancer. It was suspected from the CT scan and the biopsy confirmed it. Hopefully you can get your appointment relatively quickly so that you can get a proper diagnosis. I find all of the waiting so stressful. Good luck and best wishes x 

• Thanks for your  replies, what's your mum's diagnosis / story if you don't mind sharing x

• Hi

my mum had 2 bouts of pneumonia in 10 weeks so they did a ct scan. She then had a broncoscopy which confirmed the lung cancer and a pet scan which confirmed it had spread :-( we are now waiting to see the oncologist to see what treatment she can have. She has non small cell cancer and has never smoked so we were all shocked and devastated. It’s been an awful few eeeks for us all so I understand how you must feel  

I really hope you can get your scan sorted soon and that it’s not the bad news you fear. My mum was told that if her cancer hadn’t spread that they would have operated on her lung and removed it. Fingers crossed that it’s straightforward for you. Sending you good luck and positive vibes x 

• hi Emilou

i hope you get all the help and support you need from your family and freinds,and that the doctors and nurses who treat you ,give you everything needed to get you through this,and that everything works out positively for you and your girls.

regards 

ian