25 years on .

I would like to introduce myself and offer any help to anyone who may need it. In 2003 my husband a wonderful Dad and husband was diagnosed with Cancer of the tongue ,he was 45 years old .He was a very active ,healthy man ,he was a teacher and a great family man .We met at school ,were together through University and married soon after graduation . We had three children and at the time of his diagnosis they were 14,17 and 21,all at different stages of their busy lives i was a Deputy Head of a Primary school ,life was busy for us all and we were a loving supportive family all with our different roles to play .Life was good ,my husband`s diagnosis was a huge shock , the world crashed nd us around us . 

Even after 25 years i can clearly remember every day from the moment of diagnosis,the treatments my husband so bravely went through,the realisation that despite this, the tumour was very aggressive and his time was limited ,how each of us coped with knowing he was not going to survive ,the decision he was to come home and be with his family and not go to a hospice and how that was for him and us. 

I often think back to how very brave my husband was ,how our children were incredible ,how so grateful i was for the support of the nurses ,our doctor and a councillor to support each and every one of us in doing our very best for my husband and each other.

My children  all have since married and have 8 children between them ,they all have happy family lives and i see in all of them the character of their father . My Grand children know their Grand father because he is talked about and remembered in so many ways  eventhough sadly he never knew them,he is still very much part of our lives ,we all say "i wonder what Dad would have thought " or " Dad would have been so proud of you " . We have a Grandad box with many of my late husband`s special things in ,i kept it initially for my children all those years ago and nowadays the Grand children love this box too .

It is important to us to keep his memory alive in so many ways.

I have remarried  just 4 years ago , we have

been friends for many years ,he has lost his wife to cancer too and so he and i have an understanding of each other`s experiences of loss and coping with the trauma of this.

My life is good ,i am in a very loving relationship and we both truely value each day and each other.

I would be pleased to help any one on this forum if i can .

• Hi how kind of you like you i lost my partner six months ago and try and give otheres as much support when i can .the young people who have lost there parants seem to need support  .crissie on here tryed to get some support for them bless her but nothings happend so your most wellcome  paul

• Hello Paul,thank you for making contact . I have been reading about the loss of your dear wife ,i send you a hug across the internet and hope each day for you brings peace and an ease in your heartache . It is such early days for you and yet you are already able to help and feel empathy towards others who are suffering a loss ,that is a great gift Paul .As you can read my journey of loss has so far been 25 years and still brings challenges . I too feel very concerned when i read of young people`s sorrow and loss ,i feel a tremendous responsibility to help youngsters who have less "life " experience when faced with the loss of someone close to them .I was a teacher all my life and often children would want to talk about their loss in school it was then i first realised how often they keep their feelings well hidden from their families as they either did not want to upset them even more or they did not know who to talk to.

When my late husband was ill with Cancer and died with us at home my children being there we talked ,cried ,talked cried for a long while then we started to remember happier times and celebrated the all too short times we had as a whole ,complete family. It taught them so much for their future adult lives and what we all learnt together has given them a wonderful grounding to what is important in life and relationships .

As for you i was very touched reading about your wife`s things ,I have literally everything still of my late husbands apart from things my children and my grandchildren are now beginning to have as they get to know him through us all sharing memories of him with them,they were all born after he passed away . Clthes i think are the most difficult of items to know what to do with ,some i have kept that remind me of him others my sons as adults now have and even wear ,others are in a memory chest with other personal items , There is still my late husbands "smell " on some things even after 25 yrs and i often just breath his scent in and remember him .  I am very fortunate to have remarried and my husband having lost his wife many years ago too ,understands my need to do these things,he too keeps his late wife close to his heart in a similar way ,and yet we can still have a loving second relationship made stronger by our understanding of each other and our loss.

• Hi well thank you i think because of cancer chat and i went straight out and got bereavement councilling and i think its helped me move through it quicker i try to give more practical advice to anyone as things get put behind us till they come up after . liz  her death realy flattend me as i never though of a stroke i checked lizs tenp twice a day becuse of temp drop warning of sepsis hers was better than mine and bang stroke sepsis gone i two days and like you liz was my second chance but i kept her going as she kept me going i was relentless but if drs cant keep her going how could i .so ive got to make a new life again my adult children have been great  .but ive seen how it effects the young they are realy lost [@Chriss]‍ has been a wonderful comfort private messaging me now we have become pen friends so i consider myself luck it you can call it that .thanks for your replie ime sure you will be a great help  most kind ..paul ps please excuse grammer i have mild dislexia and the spell checker makes it worse lol

• Nice to hear from you Paul,you sound as if you are doing very well .  I know what you mean about grammar and spelling errors ,my kep pad does the same to me ! i never had a spelling problem all the time i used pen and paper as a teacher -----i would have been sacked if i wrote in the way my typed messages come out ! Carole .

• Hi when i first bought this phone it had predictive text on i looked at a text i sent and thought which moron sent that realized it was mine lol but it tend to alter your spelling just as you post . Regards paul