25 years old and a breast clinic referral

Hi all,

I hope we are all doing okay. My name’s Sophie and I wanted to post here for some kind words. I went to my GP yesterday for something unrelated and I asked for a breast examination as I had recently noticed a new lumpy area. I have fibrocystic breasts and my partner had convinced me what I had felt was there before, but something didn’t sit right so I decided to mention it at the appointment. 

My GP spent a long time examining my right breast in silence and found a mobile, 1cm lump. He didn’t give me any indication as to what he thought it was and referred me to the breast clinic. 

I am slightly in shock as due to my partner I had partially convinced myself that all would be okay. Now it is all I can think of, and I cannot stand this wait. I cannot stop thinking about the fact that the lump I had seen a few years ago was benign and had completely different features. 

Any advice of getting through the next few weeks would be really appreciated - I am 25 years old x

• Hi Sophie 

If it makes you feel better the doctors are referring everyone at the moment due to covid. I had my appointment on Wednesday after going to the doctors last Wednesday. My lump is in my armpit and has been there since April I thought it was hormonal so left it until now.

Did the doctor say how long it would take to get an appointment? X

• Hi sophie,

Im 24 i also had a lump in one of my breasts which grew off my breast tissue, i went to my GP where she felt it and then referred me on two week pathway to the breast clinic to get checked out.

i was so frightened as i didnt know what to expect or if i had a cancerous lump, luckily for me it was just a fatty lump but i can still remeber the fear after finding it.

just remeber that 9/10 breast lumps are benign and harmless it may just be another one of them!

hope everything goes well for you x

• Hi Sophie,

I'm 24 and due to go to the breast clinic in 5 days after my go confirmed she could feel the lump I found in my breast. I'm terrified it's going to be cancer, it's been a huge fear of mine ever since I was younger, I lost both my parents and I'm so scared I'm going to leave my son on his own. I can't stop worrying, I feel sick all the time and I can't sleep.

i really hope you've had good news, I'm here if you need to chat about things. X

G.