23 and just diagnosed with breast cancer

Hi everyone - I was the type to do alot of googling prior to my diagnosis and came across this forum- never did I think I would be posting here myself.

Found a lump about 2 months ago and GP and several other doctors believed it was a fibroaedenoma (or however its spelt) by feeling it. Was eventually referred for an ultrasound (after my referral being rejected due to my age and low risk factors) and then was told I need a biopsy. I am a very health paranoid person but I still got myself to believe it was just going to be a fibroaedenoma! Had a follow up consultation yesterday as someone had cancelled their appointment last minute. I even told my dad he didnt have to come in with me as I was so sure it was just going to be normal results.

Next thing I know the dr is telling me the lump looked very suspicious and it is actually a 4cm cancerous lump.

I cried alot and tried to absorb most of what was being said. It literally felt like a bad dream that I was waiting to wake up from. The doctor and nurses all said they weren't expecting it to be anything abnormal!

To add to this I have a heart condition (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy) and have an ICD in place. I generally dont have symptoms from my heart and live a normal feeling life but I worry so much if the treatment clashes with my heart medications or that my body wont be able to handle it.

Have only told close family and my boyfriend/ 1 close friend. I dread telling loved ones about this- I feel its almost worse than dealing with it yourself. I am due to have a CT scan next week to see if it has spread then the likely plan is chemo to shrink the lump, surgery and then radio.

I am hoping so much it hasn't spread anywhere - I dont know how I will be able to cope with that. I feel I will have a clearer head once I know the plan of action but I guess it's one day at a time!

• Hi there ..

So so sorry your going through this heartbraking time at the moment... it is so rare being so young ... but cancer doesnt care how old .. but l had a grade three breast cancer in 2017 ... the worst part looking back was knowing, but just waiting for the treatment to start ...

I took a couple of days crying and cussing ... it actually did me good ... with the help of my amazing daughter in law,  l felt ready to take it on ... she said "no more what ifs...no more panicking... no looking ahead .. well take each problem as and when it comes up....  

That was the best advice I ever got ..  vertual boxing gloves on ... and I was ready to get in the ring and punch it right back ..

It wasn't easy .. it's one of the hardest things well ever take on ...  but feeling ready will so help you .. you've a mountain to climb, but just take one step at a time ... and those around you will feel stronger if they see your ready to look it in the eye ... I'm sure with your heart condition they will take great care of you ... you can do this .. when I came on here like you at the start ... I chatted to 6 others with breast cancer , all different stages and treatments... but three years on, wer all still here .. most of them have gone back to their life post cancer... 

Treatments come a long way ... l now have a granddaughter who  is battling acute myeloid leukaemia , she's just 18 .. and my daughter in law who helped me, now is getting her through her chemo .. radio .. and her stem cell transplant... touch wood .. her transplant stays strong .. but she's still a long way to go .. my tea shirt says ... cancer touched my boob.... so l kicked it's ***.... I'm going to get one for my granddaughter... saying cancer touched my blood ... so l kicked it's butt ...

So come on .. join us in this cancer boxing ring ... yes don't hold emotion in .. it's good to cry or cuss .. then get those boxing gloves back on ... 

Sending you a vertual hug.... Chrissie  

• Hi your story sounds so like mines. I got my referral but everyone seemed to think it was fine until scan where I then had biopsy. Straight away doctor was in saying it's probably a form of breast cancer. Within the wk I had ct and mri. It's terrifying how your thrown in to all these tests especially while trying to get your head around it. I've to go bk for another biopsy on my other side now and genetic testing cause of my age.

all I did was cry. Couldn't break the news to anyone and just wanted to hide away. Honestly now my family and close friends know I feel abit of relief. Think the guilt was my hardest adjustment over last couple of wks. Just felt I was putting it on them by telling them if that makes sense. You will feel better once they know as any more info is then expected xxx

• Thanks Chrissie. I know it's a long road ahead but its reassuring to know that others feel the same in terms of the unknown seeming like the worst bit - I just want to know how big of a battle I'm fighting!

I will definitely try and take it one problem at a time. My job involves telling others In really rough times to take things one day at a time so it's time to take my own advice!

• Sorry to hear you have to go through this too! Sounds same as me- due to have ct and possibly MRI next week. I feel the same with what you said, I hate putting others through this and seeing them upset!

• Hi there

I am in much the same position as you. I am 29 and diagnosed today, also a 4cm lump. I have to go for a CT scan for the same reasons as you. If you'd like to chat at any time as we navigate this time, feel free to send me a message.

Steph x

• Thanks Steph I have sent a friend request x

• Hi there ...

I have accepted your friend request ... but I have trouble with sending first message ... so just send one your end ... I'd be honered to chat to you ...  Chrissie xx

• There's a really supportive Facebook group for younger ladies with breast cancer if you are interested in joining. It's called Younger Breast Cancer Network. You message them to join the private group. Good luck with treatment.

• Hi. Really sorry to hear about your diagnose. Last week i was told i have breast cancer too. Its so weird when they told me, like it wasn't real. Ive just had an mri then ct tomorrow. Im not too bad about the tests, its the results that scare me more. Im due back on 9th july but my consultant has said chemo 1st too then hopefuly surgery. Im here to talk and feel free to send me a friend request if you want