2+2 = 371!

Maybe a couple of years ago now I started getting a pain deep inside the back of my leg under my calf muscle. The GP suspected some type of arterial disease and referred me to the hospital. The consulatant had me strip to my underwear, walk up and down and declared my viens healthy... 
The pain has come and gone ever since, but its gradually gotten worse and is either a dull ache or quite a sharp pain that builds up and then eases off again. Until now I've brushed it off, thinking that if it was a clot I'd have had a major problem by now. It also hurts in my shin sometimes now too but I put that down to one of those things with getting older, maybe shin splints. I get pain in a few of my joints but have never been to the gp about it and assumed its just age (I'm 54). Over the past few months I've been getting similar pain in my foot, which I'm aware of most of the time and especially when I rest it but I do a lot of walking (18-20k steps per day). The pain is worse at night and again is sharp/stinging/burning. I thought it was probably arthritis and as I've never been to the drs with these pains (or at all since I went with the leg pain) I thought I should go. Just lately I keep getting this overwhelming feeling of dread too which is affecting my sleep. I felt silly when I got there and didn't mention any of the other pains or this feeling of dread. He said he thought my foot pain could be due to a couple of things but would send me for an xray as he thinks its a stress fracture. When I told my other half about my appointment I lifted up my foot to show him and he said he could see that the bone was an odd shape. I hadn't noticed from the angle I looked at my foot (it's on the bottom/side of my foot at the metatarsal joint) but can now see its a lump. Its not really painful to push or prod but hurts most of the time. As you do, you google these things and stress fractures also come up with bone cancer so now I've worried myself that the pain in the back of my leg that Ive had for ages is something I should have chased up... 
WIth the nhs how it is, it took me 3 weeks from deciding I should go to the drs to get an appointment, a further week for the referal to come through and it was a 4 week wait for an xray - Ive got  2 weeks left to wait. I havent got much faith in this gp but my main gp emigrated just before covid. Will an xray even pick up if theres cancer? 

Without knowing my personal problems, while I've been wating for my xray appointment,  I've had 3 different people tell me about relatives that presented with joint/bone pain that was overlooked and by the time they discovered it was bone cancer it was too late to treat. :shocked: How is it that if they've been having tests and xrays that it was missed?

So now I'm not sleeping and instead, am lying in bed every night trying to ignore the pains and scaring myself. :confused:

• Hi- You sound about as anxious as me right now! It's an awful feeling. I am only slightly behind you in age- 50 and am awaiting a colonoscopy and endoscopy next week for some horrible symptoms and unexplained anaemia. I am dreading what might come of it!

Have you considered that your pain might be menopause related? It does do very strange things to our bodies.

Could you make another appointment with the GP to say you want more than just an x ray and discuss your fears/ concerns in more detail?

I hope everything works out well- I am sure it will. Try not to worry too much (but I know this is so much easier said than done!) I try to distract myself with walks and work.

Take care. xx