21 weeks pregnant and breast lumps...

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting and i

hope I have come to the right place. 

I am 20 years old & 21 weeks pregnant. Last week (when I was 20 weeks pregnant) I was feeling my breasts and felt that my breasts had changed a lot! Of course I know that this is normal with my being pregnant. However, particularly in my left breast I felt a small firm lump just above my areola in the upper inner quadrant of the breast. Having health anxiety, I instantly panicked and of course thought the worst, so I made an appointment with my GP. 

She examined my breasts and afterwards stated that she could see where I was coming from with the lumpy breasts and basically explained the guidelines she is given on when they should refer to the hospital. It might be worth mentioning that my GP is amazing, she knows I have health anxiety and that I worry a lot and she always reassures me. She told me it all felt normal and that I shouldn’t worry. But she booked me an appointment for 4 weeks time and advised me if I worry so much in the meantime that I can re-book the appointment for a sooner date. She also informed me of how accessible the breast clinic was? My question is, if it is nothing to worry about and it feels normal then why has she scheduled me another appointment in 4 weeks? Should I worry? I do notice that when I feel the lump, the more I kind of massage it, it does get smaller, but then the next day it’s back again to it’s original size. It’s  painless too. 

Thank you you ladies in advance :-)

• Hi ya ..

And welcome ...

Like you said she's an amazing Dr who knows and understands your anxiety ... so I recon she probly knows if she just sent you home, you'd still worry ... and so to settle you too, she's doing extra tests .. 

My boobs were really lumpy when pregnant and after till hormones settled down .. and breast cancer at your age is miniscule .... so what a lovely Dr ... and don't over panic .. and try not to keep touching it, as you could make your boob sore ... 

Think you'll be o.k .. but let us know how you go ...   Chrissie x

• Hiya Chrissie! 

Thank you so much for your response and thank you for being so kind too. Normally when I mention my health anxiety to people they seem to think I’m being ridiculous and that I should get a grip. Of course, in my mind somewhere, I know I’m being silly  but I can’t shake off that “what if” feeling and it’s a genuine anxiety. 

Your reponse has definitely calmed me, so thank you. Yeah, many of my family and friends have also told me she’s asked me to go back to reassure me because she’s knows what I’m like, but she’s actually made me worry quite a bit more as now I’m thinking, why didn’t she just tell me it’s nothing if it feels normal? And I also read somewhere that if they are suspicious, then they ask you to come back to practice to check! But she wouldn’t have told me it’s nothing and that it feels normal if it wasn’t surley?

It’s good to know that it’s common from your breasts to be lumpy during pregnancy which mine certainly are. My left breast is somewhat bigger than my right breast too. 

Again, thank you for taking the time to read and respond. It means a lot xx

•  

Hi Phoebe,

Welcome to the forum.

Chrissie has, as usual, given you good advice. It is perfectly normal for most people's breasts to be different sizes, so please don't worry about this.

Your doctor is doing the right thing in bringing you back. If she had been at all suspicious that there was anything untoward there she would have referred you straight away to the breast clinic. Your breast will naturally change while you are pregnant and, I expect that she just wants to compare what she finds on your next visit to what she found last week. It sounds as if she is just being thorough, which has to be a good thing.

It sounds as if your GP is pretty sure that all is normal, so try not to worry in the meanwhile - not easy, I know!

Please let us know how you get on when you return for your next check up and remember that we are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Jolamine! 

Thank you for your response! 

Yes, that’s what I keep telling myself - that if she was worried or concerned she wouldn’t have left it 4 weeks and others keep telling me this too. Id also assume that as a GP she wouldn’t take that risk. I just wish in a way she told me I was ok (which she did) and then sent me away like she normally does. But yes I suppose it is a good thing that she is being thorough and she’s probably just trying to stop me worrying! And again, I’m sur she wouldn’t have told me it’s nothing and that it feels normal if it wasnt.

Thank you again and I will definitely keep you updated. My next appointment with her has been scheduled for 15th November so fingers crossed she says it’s nothing and good bye! I’m sure it’s  nothing but until she tells me i don’t need to go back I won’t believe it’s nothing.

Sorry I probably sound silly and there’s other people will genuine problems out there xx

•  

Hi Phoebe,

Your GP definitely wouldn't have told you that all was ok if it wasn't. Doctors usually tell us as it is, even if it is bad news. It sounds to me as if she is just going to make absolutely certain, possibly knowing how anxious you are. We all live in a very litigous society nowadays and I am sure that if she was in the least bit suspicious she would have referred you to the breast clinic.

I'm sure that you won't rest for certain until you are discharged by your GP, but try not to worry in the meantime - almost impossible I know!

You are certainly not silly. Facing the possibility of a cancer diagnosis is a very real fear and, all of us here know just how scary that can be.

Kind regards,
    Jolamine xx

• Hi Jolamine, 

Thank you so much for your response. I will definitely keep you updated!

Phoebe xx

• Hi Phoebe,

This sounds like one of my good friend's scenario. She had the same and it turned out to be milk. Yes, a lump of milk. Cancer tumours don't get smaller when you massage them. 
    Trust your doctor, if she was really worried about being serious, she would have booked you in for an emergency breast clinic appointment but she didn't. Instead she just wants to have a check on you so 4 weeks is reasonable.

Don't worry hun, your GP sounds like a good and careful  doctor so you're in good hands 

Mel xx

• Hi Mel, 

Thank you you for your response! I know I’m really trying not to worry and I have since discovered thickening of my breast on the right side now and I’m also so scared about this! I have my GP appointment today and I just want to get it over and done with and I am literally praying she tells me all is well and no further treatment is required as all this worrying is mentally draining. I have been prodding and poking my breasts for 4 weeks now every day and I have convinced myself I will get the worst diagnosis...

We’ll see, thank you anyway :)

Phoebe xxx

• Hiya! 

Went to to my GP today who again checked my breasts. She said they felt the same as they did last time and that they feel fine again. I told her I had been worrying so much for the past 4 weeks and that I had none stopped felt my breasts worrying constantly. She said that because she wants me to enjoy my pregnancy and not worry, she is going to refer me to the breast clinic. She said there’s two routes you can refer via, the blue route (not suspected cancer) and the red route (suspected cancer) she said that I would be the blue route but scheduled me an appointment on the 2 week wait which I thought was the red route? My appointment is scheduled for 2 weeks time (she booked it there & then). She did tell me at my last appointment that the breast clinic was very accessible to be fair too. 

But it now I am just even more worried. Does she suspect somethings wrong? I did say to her “are you referring me because you think something doesn’t feel right?” And she said that “from clinical experience, her reason for referral was purely for reassurance purposes”. 

I just don’t know what to think now. She has referred to me to the hospital previously for reassurance purposes and everything did turn out to be ok so I just hope that this is the case again but I’m just constantly worrying and it’s getting me down! 

Do do you know what to expect from my first appointment at the breast clinic? Will they be able to tell me there and then if it’s sometbing to be concerned of or if it’s nothing? Will they do an ultrasound? I just want an insight really as to will I get an answer on the day? 

Thank you! 

Phoebe xx

• [@Phoebe99]‍ 

I just wanted to let you know that I had my clinic appointment yesterday and like you I was referred on the 2 week window. Doctor performed an ultrasound and decided is just a cyst and nothing to worry about as this can be easily removed and that's it. All this worrying for 3 weeks that got me sick mentally for a cyst. 
    I'd say don't stress over it like I did, it's very likely that your doctor wanted to shorten your worry time and have you checked sooner rather than later. I literally cried yesterday in the clinic thinking how I could hurt myself mentally in the last 3 weeks so please try not to. 

Let us know how you get on! 
    hugs xx