2 years since losing my dad

on 17th August it will be two years since I lost my dad and this is the first time I’m talking to anyone that isn’t a friend or a family member. Dad was diagnosed in March 2016. He had cancer everywhere. He would later die in August the same year. Watching my dad go from being a healthy man to this other person was a struggle. He got weaker everyday. Since he has been gone I do feel like a massive part of me is missing and I’ve changed so much because of it. I cry on my own a lot. I want to go to my mum or sister but i know they are feeling the same grief as me. They can’t be my rock as I can’t be there’s. I’m feeling a lot of guilt too. That I wasn’t there enough. I didn’t appreciate him enough. I’m now planning my wedding day which is also such a struggle as I know he won’t be there to walk me down the aisle or enjoy a family celebration. He would of been the light and soul of the day. He always had a big heart and it didn’t matter who or what you did to him he always would welcome you back with open arms. It’s unfair that someone so good natured was taken from our family. I just wish I could see him one last time to tell him how proud I am to have him as a dad and that I appreciate everything he has done for me. 

• Hello Tinkerbell198 and welcome to our friendly forum,

I am so sorry that you lost your dad nearly 2 years ago. Sometimes it helps to talk to someone who actually isn't a friend or a family member, someone who really understands what you are going through at the moment because they have been there themselves.

It must have been devastating for you and your family to see your dad deteriorate in such a short space of time. Grief can feel overwhelming and it must be hard when you are all experiencing the same grief in your family, your mum, your sister and yourself. Try not to feel guilty about anything as I am sure there is no reason for you to feel any guilt. I am sure your dad knew how much you appreciated him. Planning your wedding day must be especially traumatic for you and I am sure that he will be very much in your thoughts on your special day and very much remembered. But try to enjoy your wedding as much as possible it will be a wonderful magical day surrounded by those you loved and your dad would have wanted you to be happy and to have a good time I am sure.

We have a useful page on our website on Coping with Grief which may be helpful and which explains well the range of emotions we tend to feel after we have lost a loved one.

We'll be thinking of you as you walk down that aisle - your dad would have been as proud of you as you are of him.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator