2 week referral time not met

Hi. So my GP referred me for an urgent urology appointment under the 2 week time frame. It's been an absolute shambles. I was referred on 15/3 & got an appointment for 5/4. I was informed on 22/3 that that appointment had been cancelled as it was fine through the routine booking system & not the 2 week. I was given a cancelled appointment on 23/3 at 10.30. I was rung on the morning of 23/3 to be told that there was no consultatant to do Cystoscopy but to still go for ultrasound & I was re/booked for 24/3 at 1pm. I arrive for my scan to be told I didn't need one as had a scan in February that had covered the bladder! Then at 5pm I was called to say that the appointment on 24/3 was cancelled due to machine breaking, I was given another appointment of 29/3 at 3pm. I was frustrated & as I have symptoms & family history of bladder cancer a little upset.

I decided to ring the 2 week referral team on 24/3 & whilst the lady was apologetic she was a unit Infograph my cancelled & re-booked appointment it had been booked via a different booking team. She confirmed my appointment & I left it at that. 
Half way to the hospital today 29/3 I receive a phone call from the last I have spoken with previously who said the appointment was cancelled due to me being booked in the wrong clinic despite it being a Cystology clinic appointment ‍♀️

I am now angry as well as frustrated & my symptoms  are affecting my life. I've now been given another appointment of 6/4! Which not only is it outside the 2 week time frame but also a day after my original appointment. 
Is there anything I can do or is this the care I should expect & just get on with it?

sorry for the rant but I am upset & have had melanoma skin cancer in the past.

best wishes 

• This is ridiculous, I can understand delays but so much back and forth in what is already an axious time is just awful. I would suggest calling PALS at the hospital which is the patient liason team. They can be very helpful.

• I have just E-mailed PALS at my local hospital. Thank you.

I understand things happen beyond their control but today was human error & I even rang lest Friday to double check!

• Hello Tmom and thanks for posting, 

I am sorry to learn about the problems you are having with the urology appointment booking system at your local hospital. I can well imagine how frustrating and upsetting this must be for you.

As has been suggested and you have already done, I think you should raise a concern about what has happened with the hospital's Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). I hope they can look into what has gone wrong on your behalf. 

Unfortunately, the NHS isn't meeting all of its cancer waiting time targets at the moment which adds to the stress of anyone waiting to be seen.  Realistically,  I am not sure if there is a way for you to be seen much sooner in the NHS. You could talk to your GP and ask them if they know what the waiting times are in other hospitals within travelling distance. There might be the possibility of being referred somewhere else, but you would need to talk it over with the GP.  

It might help to know that most people referred urgently don't turn out to have cancer after all.  I am only mentioning this in case it helps you to keep an open mind while you are waiting as the uncertainty is inevitably stressful to cope with.  Hopefully this appointment next week won't be cancelled and you will have a better idea of what is going on then.

Please give us a ring if you want to talk anything over. Our number is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and we are around weekdays from 9-5.

Wishing you the best,

Julia