15 year old worried about possibility of lymphoma!

hello! :-) , i am very scared about having to be writing this and it’s something i’d never thought i’d be doing but i need to find some kinda comfort and ease. im sorry about the length of this, i have just realised how long it is! 

i am 15 years old, 16 in less than a week and i am absolutely terrified about the possibility of having cancer. i’m sorry if i ramble on but i want to explain this to the best of my ability. i have pretty bad health anxiety, i’ve always felt very distressed and irked out by the thought of doctors, hospitals, disease, needles, blood etc even sitting in the doctors waiting room is enough to make me sweat and hyperventilate. any tiny thing that seems wrong with me sends me in to freak out mode lol 

basically, on 8th january i went to my orthodontist as i have some issues with my teeth, i previously had this brace thing to move my jaw forward due to an overbite and i also just recently had my braces removed. anyways i went to the orthodontist as i had been complaining to my mum that my jaw looked squint and it often hurt and locked into place. we discovered i had a temporomandibular joint disorder due to aggressive clenching of my jaw. so i thought okay all is well i’ll do as the orthodontist told me. later that evening i was pushing my fingers under my jaw when i felt this lump, a lymph node, and immediately freaked out. it starts just under my jaw and goes to about just before the middle of my neck. me being me i tried to measure it and it seemed to be about 3cm x 1.5cm which is pretty large for a lymph node. it is soft, it feels like a soft muscle, it moves about easily and it has defined edges. i checked the other side and there was one there too but i wasn’t as concerned as it didn’t feel as big. i thought that this may be due to a previous cold i had just had and i had developed a sore throat as well so i thought that may be the case. 

anyways, i did the worst thing i could do and searched up what it could be online with everything referring back to lymphoma which, quite frankly, terrified the *** out of me. i didn’t even know this was i thing?! this resulted in me crying before telling my mum three days later after i found it. she reassured me that it would just be a swollen lymph node and would go down after some time. she told me that she has had lymph nodes that took months to go down which eased my mind a bit. the next day i had a concert and i felt like it almost ruined my experience, not during the concert, but before and afterwards as i am usually ecstatic but at this point, i felt very distant and worried.

my mum booked an appointment to the doctors for the 15th of january, which happened to be the day of my english exam but it was before hand. i had managed to get myself into complete melt down mode due to stress and anxiety which my mum thinks has now reflected into my physical health. anyways i was seen by a doctor and she told me that it was simply reactive lymph nodes, they were soft, easily moveable and even though they felt quite large to me she wasn’t concerned as some people just generally have larger lymph nodes than others or mine may have remained large after a previous infection. i also had a very red throat and a fever so she told me i had a viral throat infection and to take paracetamol four times a day blah blah blah. if the lymph node had not gone down, i was to come back a month or so later.

now, this is where the problem is. the lymph node has not gone down. i am worried to say the least. the lymph node on the other side almost feels larger, i can’t tell if it was always that size and has just came closer to the surface or if it has actually gotten larger, it seems like it’s about 2.5/3cm x 1cm. there is also one just below it which i don’t think i noticed as i never touched that area, it is about 1cm x 1cm or maybe smaller. both soft, both movable, both defined edges. the other problem is, i have developed other symptoms. i must mention i have been taking a contraceptive since november, microgynon, as i suffer from extremely heavy and sore periods and this has given me some relief. all of these symptoms have appeared since i took this pill, which makes me wonder if they are related.

after i finished my exam on the 15th, i noticed my arm started to get really tingly like pins and needles. it was odd because it wouldn’t go away. this then progressed into my upper back and my head, which scared me as i know this can be due to pressure applied to nerves. i then started worrying that something was going on in my brain, which is ridiculous. the tingling then decided to go visit my legs ever so slightly but has never been in my lower back or right arm. the tingling lasted for a week or two then disappeared but has since come back. i am thinking that it is anxiety related as when it left i felt quite calm and relaxed but i noticed that now that it’s back i have been very very anxious and worried. i developed a headache on friday 18th ( i remember dates very well, think i have a talent for this) and since then i have not had relief !! they will disappear for some days or it will be constant for days. they feel like tension headaches, particularly above my ears which sometimes progress into an actual headache in my temples. the back of my head also feels quite heavy, but i have TERRIBLE posture so i’m not sure if this is related. the headaches are not bad enough to take medication and i find they disappear when i lie down or when i participate in some form of exercise, i noticed when playing basketball in p.e that the tension and pressure had significantly reduced. 

then came other symptoms, which i’m not sure if i have always had and am just noticing now due to the anxiety or have actually just came on. i have very dry eyes and have been complaining of this since last year. they are pretty blood shot and seemed slightly yellow tinged which then shot worry of jaundice to my head. my mum also has slightly yellow eyes and i noticed my boyfriend does too but this is only noticeable if you pull the lower eyelid down or looking to the side, which is the same for me. i am short sighted and often see floaters which are pretty annoying but i noticed what looked like a glare in my vision, which then again scared me. i made an appointment at the opticians, literally crying before i could barely explain what the issue was but the ladies at the desk were very sweet and reassured me that it was okay to be upset. i am a very sensitive person anyways and because i’ve been so anxious about my health, i knew i was gonna cry anyways. so the optician checked my eyes, there were no changes in my actual vision, my eyes in perfect health, no pressure, no swelling or pressure on my optic nerve (thank god!) and no signs of any other problems. my problem was, very dry eyes. i’ve been given a gel that works lovely, my eyes feel great but i think other factors are my house is always at ridiculous temps due to it being a new build, i’m quite bad for spending too long on social media and the possible culprit, the contraceptive pill! dry eyes are a side effect so i’m hoping this may be relieved by the discontinue of it. i’m currently on my week off of the pill anyways so i’m just going to stay off and see what happens. i’ve also noticed i get a slight pain in the side of my waist every so often, i don’t think i could even class it as a pain it’s just like a slight tinge every once in a while. i understood why i was getting it on my right side as i had pulled a muscle but not my left. i don’t think it’s anything of concern but i thought i’d mention it anyways.

my mum thinks a lot of this has been brought on by the pill and by anxiety, which i am hoping as well. she has been a massive help in helping me remain positive and calm, my mother's intuition is ALWAYS correct and she believes i am okay, she’s getting frustrated that i don’t believe her as much but i’m taking her word for it now. she even went to the efforts of getting me those rescue remedy calming drops things and has told me to meditate and use colouring books, lol bless her soul  

soooo, i have an appointment for tuesday 26th, feeling pretty nervous and am hoping the doctor is yet again not concerned. part of me wants her to order blood tests, scans, biopsies etc just so i can be clear about things but i think i would freak out if she said she wanted to as then it would make me think that something was actually wrong. i know i can’t be diagnosed over the internet but what are your thoughts? any ways for me to further reduce anxiety? i’m sorry this is so long, i’m pretty bad for rambling on but i really just wanted to explain this to the best of my ability. thanks in advance, i hope to hear from a few people soon! i hope you have a lovely day wherever you are

• Hi, Sally!

I am gonna answer you the same I did to some other girl who also posted about the same issue.

I have been through this the last 6-7 months so I can understand what you re feeling. I have discovered my lymphs in the summer. Actually, I only felt one. After that, I told my mom who is a GP and she felt it to but she said it was small and moveable and she didn t worry. Like you, I googled a lot and read all this stuff about lymphoma and I made myself an appointment with a hematologist back to my city where I m studying now. I am 22. She could feel one more under my armpit and she sent me back for some blood tests and an eco. I have to mention that this app. I had was like 3-4months after discovering the first lymph, during this time, stressing so much over this and couldn't eat or sleep, lost a lot of weight, didnt have any energy left to even walk on the road! My mom back home did my blood tests and the people from the labs said I haven t been eating enough and drinking water, but apart from this, nothing was wrong with me. So  back to my hematologist... I repeated the blood tests, which improved, my white blood cells coming back to normal ( when I first had my blood tests ordered by my mom, they were really really low). But then she forced me to eat and drink water and apparently that improved my condition. The only thing I had was a bit of neutropenia. So i started to get tests on my own. X rays, 3 echos for my lymphs, 2 abdominal echos, one upper endoscopy ( which discovered a mild gastritis), endless dentists appointments and surgeons! eco for my breasts and the lymph under my armpit, gyns, dermatologists, you name it! they couldn't find anything suspicious or smt that could explain my lymphs. I had some swollen submandibular lymphs. I am also thin, like you. So, like I said, there was nothing they could find to explain them. I lost money because all of those were private and my mom has no clue about them, otherwise she would have sent me to psych! She actually threatened me. ha ha. So here I am, 7 months after this discovery, with no explanation and I am not so worried at the moment. I have accepted that this might be "normal" for me. My lymphs are around 18mm. I also have health anxiety and everything that comes up, I relate it to my lymphs. Btw, nobody wanted to biopsy them. Most of the doctors said it's nothing and only one of them, a surgeon, said I could take one out if i wanted, but to wait 6 more months. Besides, he also said he wouldn't be worried. So yes, some of us have big lymphs. I have done tests for many infectious diseases but nothing came up. Maybe it s a virus bugging my lymphs or maybe it s nothing. The good part is that most probably there is no lymphoma Also, I started to develop night sweats because of my anxiety... Because everything that was in my head, I started to develop symptoms that would fit the diagnosis. So you have to be careful with this. My opinion, there is nothing sinister going on. You can get an echo to put your mind at peace, but it's good to know that this is very common. If you look it up, you would see so many people with lymphs which never went down. Actually, 2 out of 3 of my echo doctors had too swollen lymph nodes! The ladies said they have ones that never went back down. For years.  

Hope this helps you a bit with your anxiety 

• hello! thanks so much for your reply!

im so glad that it hasn't appeared to turn out to be anything sinister for you! that's pretty interesting to hear how the stress affected you, i am wondering if a lot of my symptoms have been brought on by stress and anxiety too. screw anxiety for mimicking symptoms!

i definitely have not had a loss of appetite, if anything its increased but i am pretty dehydrated if i do say so myself so this is something i need to work on. i also haven't had any systematic symptoms no drenching night sweats, i do sweat a bit at night occasionally but i often wrap myself up too much and my house is super hot. ive had no itching, no fever other than when i had the throat infection, no fatigue, no extreme sleepiness or weakness, no general feeling of being unwell. i have had a tight chest but im thinking this is due to anxiety as i often get it during periods i feel under pressure or worry. 

i think it also doesn't help that we have such easy access to the internet nowadays that we quite literally diagnose ourselves with severe illnesses which could actually turn out to be quite innocent. a lot of the physical symptoms of anxiety are the same as those of severe illnesses, so like you said it is pretty important to be careful

ahh im so glad you think it's nothing sinister! its really nice to hear an opinion from someone who isn't related to me or my constant anxiety powered mind lol. i really appreciate your reply, i feel quite a bit calmer now, so thank you!

:-) xx

• I definitely do not think that s anything sinister going on with you!

If you want to put your mind at peace, you could ask your parents for an echo. It s quick, non invasive and it s very useful.

Also, you are too young for an indolent lymphoma and if there was something acute, you would have known by now! Acute does not wait for the signal, it just hits you. 

Yes, anxiety can make you develop lots of symptoms. Currently I have non mentioned above, as I have managed to reduce it. I am also a psychologist so even if the mechanisms were clear for me and I knew I had panic attacks and huge anxiety, practice is harder.

Short story, echo if you want to sleep well at night and make friends with your lymphs, sometimes they go down really slow or never.

• ooo what actually is an echo? ive never heard of that, is it like an ultrasound or something? i might look into it to possibly ease my mind.

i think i just need to find a way to deal with the anxiety so that it doesn't affect me as much physically. i am going to mention all of this to the doctor on tuesday and see what she thinks i should do about the anxiety aspect

as for now i think i might as well make friends with my lymph nodes, ive never actually touched my neck in the area they're located so they couldve been there for years and ive only just noticed now! the doctor said that if they were cancerous they would feel rock hard, like a bone which they definitely don't so i think i need to listen to the professionals and my mother instead of second guessing myself lol

thanks again!

• Yes, an echo is an ultrasound! In my country we use this term more often. :D

And yes, almost always the suspicious ones are hard, not moveable ones and those which are attached to each other.

You are welcome :D

• ahh i thought so!

oh dear, when you say attached, do you mean as in you can feel  two lumps but they are connected? because thats what the one on my left side feels like, the one i was less concerned about. it is very moveable and soft though. is it only bad if its hard and connected or is connected by itself just as bad?

• I mean hard lumps attached like grapes one to each other. You might be able to feel two swollen next to each other, which is normal. Sometimes you can feel entire chains.

• ahh i see i see, it kinda feels like a chain of two but ill wait and see what the doc says anyways, hoping its all good:)

• Hi ,

I’ve had a firm but not rock hard lump in my neck for almost 2 years now , I don’t think it has grew any bigger but my anxiety offer makes me feel like it has , trying to measure it my self I would say it’s around 3cm long but I don’t know if this is accurate, it’s just below my ear on my neck near my jaw , I’ve been to a few gps about this and finally I am having an ent app in 3 weeks time , I’ve been waiting 2 months for this app the worry has been really affecting my life I’m 22 and am always worried I have other lymph nodes in my neck quite a few actually but they are all rather small moveable and soft? Obviously it’s nothing aggressive or something would’ve happened by now , but I’m scared in case it’s something slow growing after googling the living day lights out of it. I also have TMJD for about 6 years but I only developed this after a really stressful time I had about my health so I don’t know if it’s because of stress or something else? I’m going to mention it to the doctor as well as this is really hard to live with my jaw is in constant tightness and stiffness, limited opening and lots of headaches! 

Sorry to ramble 

does anyone have anything similar to this x