12 months after breast cancer

Hi its nearly a year to the day when I was asked to attend the luton & dunstable breast clinic for a biopsy after my 1st mammogram. .2 ops..radio therapy and Tamoxifen for 10 years. ..I'm waiting for my annual mammogram and feel anxious. .my breast seems really painful still and iv become very tired and drained all of a sudden. .very weepy and just can't be bothered. .my friends and family think iv always been positive and I'm not one to fuss because I don't want people to think I'm feeling sorry for myself. .I'm constantly thinking have I got it back somewhere else..Is this normal 12 months down the line xx

•  Hi ,it's a year ago Friday I had my opp to remove the cancer from my left breast,I was very lucky it hadn't spread to my lymph nodes,unfortunately a section of the wound wouldn't heal,I had a lot of fluid that had to be drained.i had to have a further opp to close the wound up.i was fitted with a drain bottle that was in situ for three weeks.

I then started my chemo therapy ,that was the worst part,don't realise had much it's going to take out of you,you can't imagion the fatigue you feel,just walking from one room to another is a effort,but I kept thinking how lucky I was that I was able to have this hopefully life saving treatment,years ago it was a different story,also I kept thinking about all the people I've heard about who came through it all safly and go on to live a full life.

Next came the radiotherapy ,no where near as bad as the chemo,in fact I found it a walk in the park by comparison,I'm glad to say the treatment is over now,had my last treatment the end of August.

I seen my oncologist a month ago,my boob is still swollen due to the fluid retenshion,sometimes sore had to cancel my Mammogram as at the moment can't stand the thought of how painful it might be,so it's been put back till after my next appointment with my oncology Dr in Feb .

I understand how you feel,you never think it will be you who gets cancer,the word alone puts fear into us,I know when I was told I had it ,I thought my life was over,all the plans we have made the dreams we have will never happen now,I realised I wasn't ready to leave this planet and my family,so I started thinking possative ,not easy at times,but I'm through the worst of it now,and started to get on with my life again,we all have the worry in the back of my mind ,what if it comes back,just pray it doesn't and enjoy your life,feeling tired I'm told can last for a while ,when you think what your body has been through it needs time to recover,so put your best foot forward and enjoy life all you can,merry Christmas,were still hear to enjoy it .

• Hello,

I think most people I talk to who have had bc have felt the same, I certainly did.  

It has been three years since bc diagnosis, I had chemo and radiotherapy.    It is a cliche, time is a great healer, but I find it is.  I am going for my three year mamogram on Tuesday, and feel very nervous - all the memories come flooding back.  It is in the same building as I was diagnosed originally.  I now feel very well, and work full time. I have lost weight, and do lots of walking now.  I was a bit of a couch potato before bc. The worry about it coming back has become less and less - it is only when I visit the hospital I really worry.  It really does get easier, and I think it is natural to worry from time to time.

Take care and keep posting for support.

Diane xxx

• Please remember to ask your GP for a three-monthly CA15-3 blood test.  It is an indication of further disease activity and is how my secondary BC was picked up.  It always confuses me as to why we are given a yearly mammogram and not a CT scan - surely that would be far more sensible as mets can be elsewhere in the body so why concentrate on the breast area? Be interesting to hear the moderators or nurses opinion. All the best to you all for your continued good health x

• Hi there. I will be asking for  this blood test when I go for a follow up appointment in December. .I didn't even know about this test and it is really important..why is it bit offered as part of your treatment? .I'm also waiting for my annual mammogram. .I'd had it this time last year ( which is when they found a lump)..do they sometimes forget. .is making me anxious xx

• Hi 'LL .......  my oncologist told me about the blood test and unbeknown to you, you probably had several during the treatment phase. It is not something to do through the hospital as sadly I don't think it would be offered routinely, no doubt because of the cost issue.  I asked my GP to write me a blood test request form every three months and ring me with the results - which he was happy to do. He was also happy to inform the oncologist when the cancer-count rose and tell him that I needed a CT to investigate.  It is wrong that most patients are not told about this test - there are many cancers that can be monitored this way such as prostate, ovarian/cervical, but I suspect the cost is an implication as it is with many things sadly.

I am sure you are feeling anxious and I think personally I would give them a call to remind them that your mammogram is due. Can't do any harm can it and unfortunately you need to be a little 'nice but assertive' with this disease.  I always think it's a good idea to stay in close contact with the McMillan nurses at your local hospital as they have access to your records and can put in a little nudge to the right people when needed. They are also fab with financial information and general help re support groups etc.

Always here for a chat when needed 'LL - take care and all the best x

• Hi,

The moderators have asked us to answer a few things on this thread.

It is always a good idea to talk things through with either your oncologist or breast care nurse. The CA 15-3 and other tumour markers are not produced by all breast cancers. It is thought that around 25-30% do not produce this marker. So do discuss with your doctor whether it is right for you. Research into the blood test has shown that even if the cells produce a marker it is not always accurate enough to use the results to say whether the cancer has returned.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) have looked at the available research about the best way to follow people up who have had breast cancer. They have come to the conclusion that yearly mammograms is the best way to monitor people. If secondaries appear elsewhere in the body they will often cause symptoms which can then be investigated.  There is more information explaining follow up after breast cancer at this link to our website

Kind regards

Deborah

• Thanks Debs.  Having now been visiting hospitals, support groups and treatment suites for ten years, I can say that I hear of far more people getting a recurrence elsewhere in other organs than I do of a breast recurrence.  Personnally, I have never understood why mammograms are offered instead of a CT, PET or MRI. They would show spread anywhere else  including the breast and  it seems much more sensible to me personally?  I would certainly want to be aware of spread before symptoms appeared if possible, giving me a much better chance of quicker treatment and a longer prognosis.

As for the CA15-3 - like the PSA for prostate cancer, these figures can be inaccurate due to other infections etc. However it can be double-checked and the fact is that it is very accurate in many cases, including my own.  As you have pointed out, the vast majority of people do produce this count -around three quarters of them - and they are not being offered the test at all or even informed about it and being given a choice which is scandalous!  We all understand on this forum the importance of quick diagnosis and treatment!

I am lucky to have private health insurance and with my high grade diagnosis, initial monitoring was more regular with both mammogram and CT, and blood tests were offered as standard which is not happening NHS.  It makes me very suspicious that it is a money issue rather than the best guidelines for monitoring at risk breast cancer patients.

All the best x