12 biopsies taken during endoscopy

I had an endoscopy this morning.  I had previously had ulcerative colitis and there was some scarring found but nothing in particular was found, the assistant said, but when I read the report on the way home, the consultant wrote that he took 2 biopsies from EACH of 6 areas (ie 12 biopsies). One comment was 'Mild patch colitis in caecum till mid transverse - Sigmoid diverticulosis.'  Unfortunately, I never got to talk to the consultant about what he wrote, but does that mean that I still have some 'live' colitis?  I had been assuming that 12 biopsis was just standard procedure but others on here seem to have had only 1 or 2 biopsis.  12 did seem rather a lot of biopsies.  Is this standard practice now?.  Will I hear that eventually that all is OK or will I never hear, if they are just standard practice?

• Hi Cara and welcome to the forum.

I can see, understandably, that you have a lot of questions. I'm sure our members will pop by soon to offer their support but I'm not sure anyone here will be able to give you the answers you're seeking so it may be worth getting back in touch with your consultant or doctor to see if it's possible to talk things through.

Our cancer nurses are also available for a quick chat on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday  between 9a.m - 5p.m as well.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator