1000 miles in 100 days

I saw a news item about a 28 year old guy just off chemo cycling Lands End to John O'Groats.  I cycle quite a lot round the local lanes and reckoned that at 10 miles a day, average, I could do 1000 miles in 100 days.  I do not have a supporting team and at 73 I am a bit older and less fit than him and am still on chemo.  Initially I was fighting sickness and dizzyness from the anti-sick pills.  So I gave up the pills and jumped on my bike.  Having lost quite a few days I have upped my daily quota to around 20 miles a day for the moment.  It is great fun.  The very bumpy/potholey roads of Essex jiggle my insides so much that they forget to feel sick.  The other day a large black cloud opened over me, I sheltered under a tree and found that the track had turned into a stream over my canvas shoes!  I discovered I could ride in heavy rain!  It is great going further than I generally would.  However according to my neighbour's son I am cheating as I have a pedal assist motor!  That is my son's fault, a couple of years ago he insisted that I have the pedal assist so that I could go further.  The main problem is not going beyond the battery's capabilities and needing a recharge.  I am hoping to generate £1 for every mile that I cover.  So far I have only done 148 miles, so I have a way to go.  I would be delighted if anyone would like to sponsor me.  Sponsorship certainly makes me pedal harder.:happy:

jane

• Hi again Jane,

This sounds like a fantastic challenge and a huge well done to you for taking it on. It sounds like you are making good progress already and I wanted to wish you all the best for the rest of the challenge.

Feel free to share a link to your fundraising page to help encourage donations, as well as of course sharing with friends and family too.

All the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator