10 year old swollen gland in groin

hi all, 

just after some advice for peace of mind. My 10 year old son noticed a lump under his arm, it was a lymph node. A week later I wondered if he might have any more. I checked his groin and found another one. The armpit one has disappeared but 8 weeks on the groin one is still there. 

I took him to the GP after 3/4 weeks she wasn’t worried but said to return in 3 weeks if they were still there and she would refer for tests. We went back and saw a nurse at the surgery 3 weeks later and she said the same thing, come back in 3 weeks if still there. 

He isn't unwell, no temperature or viral symptoms and hasn’t been unwell for some time. 

Am I worrying over nothing? Should I take him back? I’m assuming if he was ill he’d have lots of other symptoms.  I don’t want to keep taking him back if it’s unnecessary or they keep saying to watch and wait as it’s starting to play in his mind! 

Thank you you in advance 

• Hi Mama-B and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry about the worries playing on your mind about you son. If it will give you peace of mind, there's no harm in going back again but maybe this time try to make sure you see the same doctor you saw last time as they will be able to look at your son's medical notes from the previous appointment and then make a decision about the next course of action.

Many of our members here on the forum are parents themselves so will understand what you're going through at the moment and will hopefully be along soon to offer their support and advice.

All the best,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi MaMa-B.

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a doctor and I have no medical qualifications.

Swollen lymph nodes regularly crop up on this forum so we do know a little about them.  

The fact that your son had a couple of swollen glands at the same time most likely means that both of them were involved in fighting off an infection. Quite possibly you'd have found more if you'd done a systematic survey. 

Lymph nodes usually swell up in response to an infection, and often they're the only sign that there is an infection. They remain swollen while they're fighting the infection, but then can take a couple of weeks to settle down.  However, some glands never to settle back down to their previous size.  They remain harmlessly swollen as a permanent reminder of the battle they fought.

This is probably what has happened to the gland in your son's groin. It may eventually reduce in size over a longer period, or it may not. It's really unlikely to be anything serious, particularly as there are no other symptoms, but it's best to be safe than sorry.  I suggest you take your son back to your GP.  The GP will probably arrange for the node to have an ultrasound scan to see if it's just a "reactive" node (which is good) or something more suspicious.