10 things I wish I'd known about life after cancer...

This list of things 'I wish I'd known about life after cancer' really resonated with us here on the Cancer Chat team. Number 9, in particular, saw me nodding my head vigorously in agreement :)

Do any of these strike a chord for you? Anything missing that you'd add? We'd love to hear your thoughts!

1. You don't always have to be positive
There are some days that you will feel broken and that's okay. We don't have to always be positive. We can sit with our pain. We can mourn for our losses. We can have a bad day.

2. Put new ways of thinking in harmony with life
Our instinct is to put ourselves back together the way we were before cancer. Accept that your life may not fit back together the way it used to. Cancer can leave you with some pretty major changes in how you want to experience life and what you feel is most important. So it's quite understandable and normal that we need to make changes to pull the past you and the new you into alignment.

3. It's a process without a timetable
Healing isn't an event and there certainly is no magic wand. It's something you have to sit with and it takes time, a lot of it. We have to remind ourselves that it's essential to feel our pain before we can know that we want to leave it, and it doesn't always happen in a linear way. Some days you will feel wonderful and other days getting out of bed will be tough. It's three steps forward; two steps back, but just keep moving.

4. There is no one-way to heal
There is no formula or timetable. We all heal differently. Each of us comes to cancer with unique life experiences and those are entwined with how we deal with our emotional pain and ultimately our healing. What works for one person may not work for another. We must find our own way not to let our cancer be in charge and to stop defining us and directing our actions.

5. Reconnect with who you are outside cancer
Some days you won't remember who you were before cancer. It can be so all consuming. One day it will just be a part of you, not the defining part. Depression has a way of drowning out all the things you love. Take the time to remember what you loved and discover the new things that capture your heart.

6. Embrace your impermanence
For a while you may not be able to see the future. You may not want to make plans or imagine life twenty years down the road. Life can seem too chaotic and unexpected to make plans, but accepting that we have a finite amount of time can feel empowering. You can either let it paralyze you or move with it. Moving with it allows you to have peace in a world where just existing can be stressful.

7. Connect with other survivors
If you find yourself feeling unknowable to friends and family reach out to people who can relate. Cancer can make our somewhat frivolous culture seem ridiculous and that in itself can be isolating. It's helpful to have someone who "gets it". Finding out you aren't alone is empowering; a source of strength that pushes us forward towards healing. The most dangerous thing you can do is to isolate yourself in your our own pain.

8. Be gentle with yourself
It's hard to be kind and gentle to a broken self. You may find yourself just wanting to dust off all the pain, but struggle finding a way forward. It's beyond frustrating that we can't just get over it by sheer will, but be kind to your self. Be gentle; you have been through a lot. You can't rush healing.

9. You don't have to live every day like it is our last
Realising we have a finite amount of time can leave us feeling like we have to make the most out of everyday, but every day can't live up to this pressure. Some days we just have to get the house clean or groceries bought. The mundane parts of life don't stop just because we all of a sudden realise the nature of life is that we could die any moment. You have to move forward striking a balance between feeling alive and living in a constantly moving world.

10. Grieving allows you to heal
You should grieve for what you have lost. Don't hide from it because you feel it makes you seem ungrateful to be alive. Hiding allows grief to grow. You can have a grateful heart while also grieving for all the things that have changed or that you have lost.

With thanks to Kimberly Fink, who wrote this list for the Huffington post.

• One of the lasting memories of my breast cancer in 2004 is not about the disease or the 7 months of chemo and radiotherapy. It was and still is financial difficulties. I was a single parent at the time and worked full time for Cheshire county council. I lost my job of 8 years because of illnesses and despite going to GP numerous times cus I knew something was wrong, it took nearly 6 months for them to finally send me for tests. My critical illness insurance wouldn't pay out due to depression I had suffered. I had to sell my house and move to an apartment. And now in 2015 I am still paying debts off that came from that time. I long to have a house again I miss my garden, my washing line, my bird feeder, my conservatory and my car and caravan on the drive.   

• I had breast cancer 13 years ago. I had a mastectomy, lymph node clearance,  8 cycles of chemo and then Tamoxifen for 5 years. It took a while but eventually I got my life back. I was diagnosed with breast cancer again in May this year after a mammogram. It was a new cancer in my other breast. I've had another mastectomy, 15 lymph nodes removed, all of which had cancer in them and three had it growing around them, I have my last chemo on 13th Novmber followed by radiotherapy and a drug for 5 years. I am worried that I won't be able to work after all this because I feel so weak. I grieve for the life I had before this and have become quite unsociable, mainly because of the effects of the chemo. On the odd occasion I do go out I do enjoy myself but have to rely on other people to pick me up and take me home again because I can't walk very far. I have totally lost my independence and worry for the future. Does anyone else feel like this?

•  

Hi Rosina,I guess I am a bit older than you.I first had breast cancer 15 years ago.lumpectomy, 6weeks radio and Tamoxifen 5years and was fine until January this year, after many tests and scans I was diagnosed with secondary cancer in my lung and brain. I realise it can't be cured but am quite well apart from poor balance and some nausea. I hate the loss of my independence, I am not allowed to drive and can't walk far without a stick.I was enjoying my retirement walking my dog twice a day and meeting up with friends but I can't do anything on my own now. Best wishes to you. 

Eileen 

• Hi rosina and eileen ..... Just joining in as I am in a similar situation. Originally diagnosed in 2006 and have known that I have secondary disease since 2012. Have had several operations and been on chemotherapy since June 2012 with no breaks.  Eileen I had targeted radiotherapy to the brain in February which has been so effective and reversed a lot of the symptoms you mention. It may be worth asking about for longevity of life and comfort.

I agree that the loss of independence is difficult but we have to be sensible and just not think things through too much. There's no point as we can't change them!  Love to you both x

• Hello Max, thanks for your reply and advice, I had the brain lesion removed at the end of June and an MRI in October which was clear. I wonder if the op itself has left me with the symptoms as it was at the back of the brain which controls the balance. Best wishes to you . I am pleased you are doing o k since your secondary cancer was found 3 years ago, that is encouraging .

Take care 

Eileen