1 year left on tamoxifen and feeling nervous

Hi. I have just over a year left on tamoxifen and really nervous about coming off it after 10 years. Been on it since I was 42 and now I'm 50. I would happily keep taking it as I feel like is a comfort blanket. Has any one come off it and how are you. Physically and mentally. 

• Hi MayBee,

Welcome to Cancer Chat. I can understand your concerns about this and I'm sure it is a feeling shared by many.

There should be others here with similar experience, so hopefully you'll receive some more replies soon. You may also want to browse the forum for other relevant discussions - and you can also search, using the button in the blue bar above.

Do of course discuss any concerns with your doctor at the appropriate opportunity also.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
    Cancer Chat Moderator

•  

Hi MayBee,

A very warm welcome to our forum.

I am sorry that you feel like this, but it is understandable.

I have had 2 bouts of breast cancer in the past 13 years. I was told that my cancer was grade 1, pure mucinous cancer. This is a rare form, but is usually less aressive than many other forms. After the first bout, I had a lumpectomy and took Tamoxifen for a year. Six months doown the line, I then discovered a lump in my other breast. My surgeon was pretty sure that this was cancer. Fortunately, biopsy proved otherwise. Almost a year to my first surgery, I discovered another lump in my original breast. I wasn't so lucky this time and had a double mastectomy, followed by Letroxole for six and a half years. 

I had lost my mum to secondary breast cancer and felt very nervous when I first came off this in 2017. Everyone who has had a cancer diagnosis has to learn to live with the possibility that it will spread or recur. With my history, I had already experienced a new primary. However, I am still here and living a busy and fulfilling life.

We are all different and have different types of breast cancers. I do feel that I would feel more reassured if I still had a regular check up every few years, instead of being left so totally alone after treatment stops. That was what I have found so difficult to cope with.

I hope that all works out well for you. Please keep in touch and let us know. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx