Ultimate Challenge event rules
These rules (“the Rules”) apply to the following events:
- Ultimate Comedy
- Ultimate High Diving
both of which include training sessions provided by a third party (each an “Event” and together the “Events”). By registering for an Event you agree to comply with the Rules (unless otherwise stated). Please check this page from time to time, as we may occasionally amend the Rules and any changes will be binding on all participants and supporters.
If you have any questions, please contact us on 0300 123 1022* and a member of our team will be happy to help you.
Subject to the below, the Events are organised by Cancer Research UK Trading Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, registered office: Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD, registered company number: 4355631), a trading company which Gift Aids its taxable profits to Cancer Research UK (a registered charity in England and Wales (1089464), Scotland (SC041666) and the Isle of Man (1103)).
The training sessions for the Events are organised by a third party and may be subject to additional terms and conditions between participants and the relevant third party.
Where reference is made to “CRUK” in these Rules, it means both Cancer Research UK and Cancer Research UK Trading Limited.
- Only participants aged 18 or over on the day of the relevant Event are eligible to take part in the Event. Participants may be required to provide proof of age on the day of the Event. We reserve the right to refuse entry to the Event to any participant who is under age, or is unable to provide proof of age when requested to do so by an Event official.
- Only registered participants who have sold at least fifteen (15) tickets to the relevant Event are eligible to take part in the Event. Furthermore, if participants have not sold their fifteen (15) tickets within two weeks of starting the training for their Event, they will not be permitted to continue with the training or take part in the Event.
- Event entry will close on the earlier of: the date on which maximum participant capacity is reached; and 28th February 2017.
- There is no entry fee to participate in the Events. However, each participant agrees to sell a minimum of fifteen (15) tickets to their Event, and raise a minimum sponsorship amount of £500 for the Comedy Events, and £1,350 for the High Diving Event (as applicable).
- Each place at an Event represents an important and valuable source of fundraising for us. As we have made an investment to be able to offer places at the Events, we therefore ask you to pledge to raise the minimum level of sponsorship set out above when taking part in an Event. This level has been set to try and ensure that we can continue to make 80p of every pound raised available to beat cancer.
- We ask that you let us know as soon as possible if you need or want to withdraw from your Event for any reason.
- Entry places in an Event are personal to participants and you may not transfer your place to anyone else, as it may cause problems of identification in the event that medical assistance is required during an Event.
- Your place at an Event will not be confirmed until you have received an email from us acknowledging that a place has been reserved for you at that Event.
1. All participants and supporters must abide by the Rules and any rules, instructions or regulations displayed or given on the day of the Event.
2. We respectfully ask that all participants and supporters do not use aggressive or abusive language towards our organisers and volunteers. You should also avoid behaving in a way which may cause injury or harm to other participants and/or spectators, or which may cause offence or damage the reputation of CRUK.
3. Cancer Research UK opposes the promotion and use of tobacco in all its forms. In line with UK-wide legislation, all CRUK indoor events are smoke free, and all participants and supporters at outdoor events are required to refrain from smoking tobacco products or e-cigarettes at the events.
4. We reserve the right to ask participants and supporters to leave an Event if they do not adhere to these Rules, and no refunds shall be given in these circumstances.
Health and Safety and Medical
- Participants in the High Diving Event acknowledge that diving is a physically demanding sport with a risk of personal injury. Participants should be able to swim a minimum of 25m unaided and be confident in deep water.
- Participants are responsible for ensuring that they are sufficiently fit and healthy to take part in the Events (in particular the High Diving Event). Anyone unsure of their physical ability to take part in an Event must therefore seek medical advice from a General Practitioner prior to the Event. It is not advisable for pregnant women to participate in the High Diving Event.
- Participants are responsible for undertaking appropriate training prior to their Event (in particular the High Diving Event) with CRUK’s reasonable support.
- Notwithstanding rule 3 above, CRUK (and its suppliers) reserve the right to refuse entry to an Event in our absolute discretion if for whatever reason we consider a person unfit to take part. We may also ask you to withdraw during an Event if we have concerns about your ability to complete it due to fitness, injury or otherwise. If you choose to continue you do so with the understanding that you are no longer considered a participant of the Event and that you absolve us of all and any responsibility, and progress entirely at your own risk.
- We take all reasonable steps to minimise the risk of injury to participants during fundraising events. There is a stringent risk assessment process in place for each and every Event which aims to minimise or eliminate the risk to everyone taking part. By taking part in an Event, you acknowledge that there may be conditions or circumstances beyond our control that can lead to unforeseen risks. If you have any concerns or queries please contact us before agreeing to take part in an Event.
- By taking part in an Event, you consent to receiving medical treatment administered by medically qualified personnel during the Event if required in any circumstances where you are unconscious or otherwise incapable of making a decision regarding medical treatment.
Sponsorship Money and Donations
1. Any monies raised in connection with the Events are held on trust for Cancer Research UK, and therefore you have a legal responsibility to ensure that all sponsorship monies/donations received in connection with an Event are paid to Cancer Research UK. We ask that you do this as soon as possible after your Event. You can:
- Use your Cancer Research UK Online Fundraising Page which has already been set up for you.
- Pay in your sponsorship money online with your credit or debit card, or call us on 0300 123 1022 with your credit or debit card details.
- Send cheques made payable to "Cancer Research UK" to:
PO Box 1561
stating “Ultimate Comedy” or “Ultimate High Diving” and your full name on the reverse.
2. Please note that we are unable to accept your sponsorship money on the day of the Event as Cancer Research UK does not have the suitable cash handling facilities to fulfil this process.
3. Please ensure that all donation and/or sponsorship forms are returned to us to enable Cancer Research UK to claim Gift Aid where possible.
Use of Personal Data
1. By providing personal data when you register for an Event, you confirm that you consent to such data being used by us for the purposes of organising, staging and administering the Event. If you provide personal data on behalf of additional entrants, you also confirm that you have obtained their consent for such data to be used for the same purposes. In the case of an emergency we may also pass personal details provided when registering for the Event to the emergency services or health care professionals, and also use them for the purposes of contacting your emergency contact.
2. First aid facilities will be provided at each Event. Participants consent to their details (which will be obtained by medical providers if you are treated by them at an Event) being passed to us, but we shall only use these details for administration and health and safety purposes and to fulfil our legal obligations (including those under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995). All medical details will be held on the CRUK Accident Database.
3. Your personal information may also be used for the purposes of sending communications to you where you have confirmed that you would like to receive further information about the charity’s work when registering for an Event.
4. All personal data held by us will be handled in accordance with applicable privacy laws and CRUK’s privacy statement which can be found here.
Filming and Photography at the Events
- By taking part in or attending an Event, all participants, volunteers and spectators agree that they are happy for their names and any video footage, stills or photographs taken during that Event by CRUK (and our service providers and agents) or by our authorised third party partners (or on their behalf) to be used by:
- CRUK to publicise the Event and for commercial and/or fundraising purposes including but not limited to television broadcasts, advertising, publications, marketing material, merchandising, personalised direct mail and other documents that may be made available to the public; and
- Our authorised third party partners to publicise their involvement and/or association with the Event, and for their own commercial and/or marketing activities.
No personal details (including names or photographs) of anyone under the age of 18 will be used in the manner described above by CRUK without the written consent of that child’s parent or legal guardian, but we may use images where children are incidentally included e.g. of mass participation in the warm-up exercises or on the starting line.
2. We may appoint third party photographers to take photographs at the Events. All participants agree that photographs featuring them may be sent to them, to other people also featured in those photographs and to children’s parents/legal guardians where children are featured in those photos. Whilst photographers will try to obtain parental/legal guardian’s consent before taking images where children are more than just incidentally included, this cannot be guaranteed.
1. Use of the Ultimate Comedy and Ultimate High Diving webpages is subject to our website terms and conditions.
2. All participants and spectators attend and enter the Events entirely at their own risk. We shall not be liable for any injury, damage or loss to persons or their property that might occur as a result of their participation in or attendance at an Event, other than in respect of any injury or loss arising as a result of our negligence. For the avoidance of doubt, nothing in this clause shall exclude or limit our liability for any liability that cannot be excluded or limited by law.
* Our lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm. Please note that calls to our helpline may be monitored or recorded to allow us to maintain our standards of customer service.