Relay for Life– Stevenage
Apply right now!
Why we need you:
We need your passion and skills as part of a committee that will plan, organise and promote a Relay For Life event uniting your community in the fight against cancer. We’re looking for committed people who will represent Cancer Research UK and encourage fundraising throughout the year.
What will I be doing?
Examples of roles on a Relay For Life committee include:
Event Chair: A natural leader? This would suit you. You will act as event spokesperson and lead a committee of volunteers to organise an annual Relay For Life in your community
Team Chair and Team Recruitment Chair: Our Relay For Life fundraising teams help us raise millions in vital funds each year. These two chair roles will work hand in hand, we need these two roles to help us recruit teams from the local community and inspire those teams to raise as much as possible
Survivorship Chair: Survivors of cancer are the guests of honour at Relay For Life. We need you to coordinate a celebration for these heroes including sending invitations, organising a lap of honour and arranging opportunities for survivors to meet throughout the year
Accounting Chair: An eye for numbers? Then this role is for you. You will be making sure that all monies are handled responsibly and accounting practices are adhered to
Logistics Chair: We need logical and practical thinkers to be the “nuts and bolts” of the event, including locating a venue and ensuring a safe and fun Relay For Life
Candle of Hope Chair: The Candle of Hope ceremony is one of the focal points of Relay. We are looking for someone who is warm and compassionate to plan the ‘ins and outs’ of the ceremony, making it a memorable experience for all attending
Cancer Awareness Chair: ‘Spread the word’. Creating awareness of cancer is a major part of what we do at Cancer Research UK. We need creative thinkers to plan and coordinate fun and engaging activities for all event attendees
We also need volunteers to:
- Increase cancer awareness in your local community
- Promote and publicise Relay For Life
- Organise entertainment and activities for the event
- Coordinate inspirational talks and presentations to bring the work of Cancer Research UK to your local community
What skills do I need?
Are you a team player with good communication skills, well networked with a local knowledge of your community? Do you love to socialise and meet people from all different backgrounds? We’re looking for organised, self-motivated people who have the ability to delegate and a genuine passion and enthusiasm for fundraising and the work of Cancer Research UK.
What support will we give you?
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow volunteers
- Advice on how to set up and promote a variety of fundraising events
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can I expect?
- Meet like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a huge, fun and inspiring event
- Development and support on your event management and leadership skills
Where will I be based?
This will be a home-based role.
What’s the next step:
For more information please contact Cally Cardines, Local Fundraising Manager Cally.Cardines@cancer.org.uk 07711 209587
Please fill in the online application form by clicking apply and a member of staff will be in touch with you about the next steps!
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.