Advisory group member: Barts Cancer Centre’s Patient and Public Involvement Research Advisory Group
Barts Cancer Centre are looking for people who’ve been affected by cancer to share their experience, ideas and opinions as part of their research advisory group.
Closing date: Friday 07 September
Location: Barts Cancer Centre, Charterhouse Square, London
Payment and Expenses: Reasonable expenses for travel will be reimbursed
Time commitment: Length of membership 1 year. Meetings will be held every three months.
About the opportunity:
As a member of the group, you will help to improve different aspects of the research. You’ll be able to:
- Contribute ideas to shape fundamental research questions/designs
- Provide ongoing feedback to develop and refine aspects of research grant applications (e.g. outline applications, lay summaries)
- Develop/improve patient participant materials (e.g. consent forms, patient information sheet)
- Provide a lay perspective on the interpretation of research findings where necessary
- Raise awareness of cancer types through patient/public advocacy groups or being patient/public ambassadors at conferences/meetings
- Encourage other patients/members of public to participate in research initiatives run by Barts Cancer Centre e.g. tissue bio-banking, population studies
You don’t need to have a medical or scientific background. You just need to be enthusiastic about cancer research and have a personal experience of cancer services either as a patient or carer.
The team are particularly interested from the experiences of people who have been affected by breast, lung, pancreatic, ovarian, brain, prostate, colon, oesophageal and blood cancers.