Event Volunteer - Race for Life Lee Valley - Sunday 7th October 2018
Apply right now!
Why we need you:
With almost 300 Race for Life events booked into the diary this year, we’re on the lookout for some passionate, motivational and inspiring new volunteers to learn the ropes and give some extra magic this year.
For the first time in 2018 we will be holding some bumper weekends covering 5K, 10K and Half Marathon all in one day! For this we need an incredible marshal team, keeping our runners safe and inspired around whichever course they choose. We will also need an amazing team based on the event site to run our admin marquee, hand out bottles of water and reward runners with a well-deserved medal.
Without volunteers our events simply can’t happen, so get involved and experience a day like no other!
What will you be doing?
There’s a huge range of tasks on event day, at some points it will pure team work and all pulling together to get things ready whilst at other times we’ll be looking for individuals to take the lead with a key focus. Things you might expect on the day include;
- Course Marshalling – use a loud voice to clearly direct and cheer on runners as they go, whilst also being a lifeline if they need support
- Admin Support – help manage participant queries on the day
- Start and Finish Line – help to make real moments of the start and finish areas by helping to get people in to position as well as handing out medals
- Set up and De-rig – If you’re an early bird or a night owl, we could use any additional hours to help us either set up signage and marquee or help take everything down.
There is no need for any previous experience, just lots of enthusiasm!
‘Before she died, my wife Baldev and I always held CRUK close to our hearts. After many years as a volunteer, whether I’m setting up the course, handing out water bottles or supporting the runners, I can smile knowing that we will beat cancer, and that I will have played some part in helping make that moment possible.’ Jutlla, Race for Life Volunteer
What are the benefits?
- Cancer is happening right now, join in the satisfaction of knowing that you are making a valuable contribution to life saving research being carried out as we speak.
- The experience of working with one of the UK’s leading charities on its premier national event series.
- Meet new and like-minded people in your local area and create a positive impact in your community.
- It’s an amazing experience; volunteering at a Race for Life or Pretty Muddy event has an atmosphere like no other.
- Volunteering can help you learn some great new skills and gain new experience to support you in your personal and career development.
- A volunteer t-shirt and light refreshments.
How much time do you need to commit?
Ideally we’d like you to be able to support across the whole day from around 8am – 2pm. However, volunteer responsibilities are flexible during the day, so whenever you’re able to arrive and for however long we’d love to have you be a part of the day. Simply let us know in the comments section of the form and the event manager will ensure your role reflects this.
What support will you be given?
A member of the team will contact you before the event to discuss any queries you have about the event or your role. You will receive briefing notes via email before the event and a full explanation of your role on the day.
All volunteer teams have a designated manager who will guide and support you in your role and answer any questions you may have.
How to apply
Simply complete our application form by selecting the 5K, 10K, and Half Marathon options in the drop down lists to ensure you're signed up for the whole day!
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.