Event Team Office Volunteer (Shine) – London – August to September 2018
Apply right now!
Why we need you:
We require an organised, hardworking and enthusiastic individual who is keen to support the events team in planning and delivering Shine Night Walk; Cancer Research UK’s night-time walking marathon event.
With over 15,000 men and women set to walk the streets of London on 22 September, we need to ensure we deliver the best event experience to all our participants and our fantastic volunteer team. In order to achieve this we require your support in the lead-up to the big night, and your assistance to the events team on the night itself.
What skills and attributes do I need to have?
- Exceptional time-management and organisational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills for building relationships
- Ability to work under pressure
- Practical thinker who can act decisively on their own initiative
- Strong written communication skills
- Ideally some previous experience of working on events, although this is not essential.
- Preferably a full clean UK driving license
What will I be doing?
- Print and help prepare all event documentation
- Order event kit and stationery and prepare event kit boxes
- Help to prepare and print all volunteer documents
- Help manage the volunteer hotline in the 3 weeks before the event
- Assist with volunteer engagement calls 2 weeks before the event to improve volunteer numbers
- Undertake volunteer recruitment by helping to distribute flyers and posters.
- Potentially take on key role at Shine Night Walk
- Help with de-rig of Shine Night Walk
How much time do I need to commit?
We’re looking for a volunteer who can support around 2 to 3 days a week in our office in Islington. We need a person who can volunteer their time from around Monday 22nd August 2018 (start date to be confirmed) to Monday 24th September. Days of the week in the office can be flexible, as can working hours – these would be discussed with you during the application process. Ideally we would also like the volunteer to attend the event on Saturday 22nd September.
What support will I be given?
- A manager with whom you will have regular meetings to discuss your progress and personal development.
- Lunch (up to £4.00 a day) and travel expenses (up to £55 a week) will be reimbursed.
- You will become a full and integral part of the Shine Night Walk team and will be able to draw on the team for advice.
What benefits can I expect?
- Experience of setting up an event and organising the administrative logistics involved.
- Experience of recruiting and managing volunteers.
- A full induction into Cancer Research UK and the Events Team.
- An understanding of the events market and how Cancer Research UK operates within this.
- Experience working on a mass participation event in central London
Where will I be based?
In our offices in Angel, Islington. There may be the opportunity for you to undertake parts of the role at home, but this will be subject to the discretion of your Line Manager and will be dependent on the project that you will be working on.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.