How we know the programme works
We have created a central resources hub for Health Professionals which hosts all of our CRUK resources and further materials to help with managing the pandemic. We are updating the information as guidance changes. There is also a page specifically for patients on our about cancer hub.
Find your facilitator
Free tailored support for GP Practices, across the UK, to improve cancer outcomes.
CRUK Facilitator Programme Evaluation 2017
The CRUK Facilitator programme was independently evaluated in 2017 in order to quantify and describe the extent and impact of the programme.
Key findings were:
- Increases in bowel screening uptake of up to 17%
- Implementation of safety-netting systems and processes to track urgent cancer referrals
- Increased confidence and motivation amongst clinical and non-clinical staff – for example in making referrals, talking to people about screening programmes or raising lifestyle risks
Without the programme:
- NHS stakeholders perceived that plans would be less well informed by ‘on the ground’ intelligence, national developments and emerging evidence.
- The pace of improvements in cancer prevention and early diagnosis in general practice would be significantly slower.
The fact that the facilitators were ‘neutral’ was extremely important, and the ‘badge’ of CRUK conveyed that the programme was focussed on evidence-based quality improvement rather than performance management, a view shared by practice staff and commissioners.