Returning to our shops and events as a volunteer
How we’re keeping you safe
This page has information about our ongoing covid-19 health and safety measures.
Our determination to beat cancer hasn’t faltered and we are more focused than ever on our ambition of seeing 3 in 4 people survive their cancer by 2034.
Volunteers are at the heart of our progress. Thank you for helping us get back to business.
It’s thanks to our thousands of amazing volunteers that we’re able to continue to safely open our doors and events to generate funds to beat cancer. As many of our shops reopen and our events restart, we’d love to have you back by our side, but only if or when it feels right for you.
It's crucial that you don't return to volunteer if:
- You have symptoms of Covid-19 or if someone you live with has symptoms of Covid-19.
Wherever possible you should follow government advice on travel, this includes reducing the number of journeys, walking and cycling if possible, avoiding busy times of public transport and wearing a mask wherever required.
How we’re keeping you safe at our events
We'll be doing everything we can to keep you safe on the day, here's how:
- Putting social distancing measures in place across all our events
- We'll be splitting participants into waves to reduce congestion on the course and so there are fewer people on the event site and each site will have a covid co-ordinator.
- There will be hand sanitiser provided at your event, which we encourage you to use throughout the day. We will be either quarantining equipment or cleaning it between events.
- We will be providing video briefings for volunteers to provide you with all the information you need before your event and reduce time on site.
What you can do to keep safe:
- Don’t attend the event if you have any symptoms of covid-19 or have been told that you need to isolate (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/symptoms/)
- Please bring your own bottle of water/drink on the day
- Bring a face covering with you. You may need to use this in any indoor areas, and it may also be required for some roles (the event manager will be able to provide more information for your specific event)
- Please respect social distancing before, during and after your race
How we’re keeping you safe in our shops
Our ongoing health and safety measures –
Some shops may have reduced opening hours to facilitate additional cleaning measures and to accommodate amended commutes for our teams in-line with government advice. So, you may wish to phone ahead before making a special journey.
All our shops have hand sanitiser stations in the doorway, cough guards at till points, and social distancing measures in place.
Our staff and volunteers have face coverings, hand sanitiser, and handwashing guidance available (plus gloves if requested). An enhanced cleaning rota is in place.