Logistics Chair - Relay For Life Maidstone
Apply right now!
Why we need you
“Cancer never sleeps, and neither do we”
Relay For Life is a year-round team fundraising challenge bringing communities together to beat cancer.
Teams of friends and family fundraise for life-saving cancer research, then join a 24-hour celebration showing that together we are stronger than cancer.
As the Logistics Chair you’ll have a really important role to play in the run up to the Relay and on the day itself. You’ll deal with the ‘nuts and bolts’ of locating a venue and equipping it with all necessary facilities and ensuring each of your fellow committee members have what they require to deliver a safe event; in short, you’ll pull everything on the practical side together. A well prepared Logistics Committee Chair will give everyone the platform on which to build a wonderful celebration.
What will I be doing?
- Helping to secure a suitable venue for the Relay and liaising with the venue to ensure compliance to terms and conditions of hire.
- Confirming arrangements for access to the venue, provision of toilet facilities etc.
- Drawing up a plan of Relay site, and working out entrances, exits and any security issues.
- Notifying local residents about the Relay and possible noise.
- Arranging First Aiders for the Relay.
- Carrying out a Risk Assessment (in consultation with your Staff Contact).
- Liaising with other Committee Members to support their requirements during the Relay and briefing them on logistical matters for the day to ensure a safe and compliant event
The type of person we are looking for:
We are looking for a capable and compassionate individual who can inspire others. You will create a network amongst the survivors in your community and create opportunities for them to meet throughout the year and on the day of Relay. You will have a positive approach and be comfortable approaching groups and individuals to explain Relay and how to get involved. A forward thinker who is both adaptive and reactive.
What skills do I need?
- You’ll need to be thorough and have an eye for detail to make sure you’ve got all the facilities in place for a safe and compliant Relay.
- An ability to liaise and work with others Committee Members, the Staff Partner and people external to the Relay is important.
- Quick thinking, calm and adaptable, just in case some things don’t go to plan.
What you can expect from Cancer Research UK
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow volunteers
- Advice on how to set up and promote a variety of fundraising events and team recruitment
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet local like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Development and support on your event management and leadership skills
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a huge, fun and inspiring event
How much time do you need to commit?
You will be expected to complete our online training modules using the Learn for Life platform. Planning generally begins 9 months prior to the Relay. We expect you will attend all Relay For Life meetings. These will most likely be monthly, as the Relay gets closer, these may become weekly with responsibility intensifying as the Relay draws closer.
Your role in particular requires liaison with the other Relay group members, and regular contact with the wider team is essential.
Where will you be based?
This is a home based role, however a large part of your role will include you being ‘out and about’ in the community e.g. team recruitment, meetings etc.
Please fill in our online form. If you have any questions, please contact Sherrill Hawker your Local Fundraising Manager via Sherrill.firstname.lastname@example.org or 07919 290884.
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.