General Volunteer - Hackney Half Marathon - 21st May 2023
Why we need you
We rely on every mile, every pound and every volunteer to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured. This includes our cheering teams, who are essential in making sure our runners reach that finish line.
Volunteer at this event and help us save lives. For just a few hours cheering, you’ll be helping us to raise vital money for our pioneering, life-saving research.
Together we will beat cancer sooner.
What skills and attributes do I need to have?
We are looking for volunteers who are:
- Organised: there might be a few different tasks we need your help with on the day
- Confident: we need you to be comfortable and happy with approaching members of the public
- Approachable, you’ll be the face of Cancer Research UK whilst volunteering with us.
- Enthusiastic when helping to spread the word about Cancer Research UK.
What will I be doing?
There are a whole host of things we may need your help with on the day – this may including:
- Bucket collecting
- Cheering on participants around the course
- Helping supports and participants with any issues that may arise
- Giving out refreshments
What support will I be given?
Before the event one of our staff will get in contact with you about the day and brief you in on what you will be doing. On the day you will be supported by the event team and other enthusiastic volunteers, you will be given refreshments on the day but it may be a good idea to also bring your own! If you want to cheer on the runners clappers, cheering sticks, whistles and loud hailers will be available – as well as a free Cancer Research UK t-shirt to make you stand out from the crowd.
What benefits can I expect?
- The satisfaction of making a vital difference to the life-saving work of Cancer Research UK and helping us to beat cancer sooner.
- For anyone looking to get into events management or the charity sector, this is a great way to get an insight as to what’s involved at sports events and also develop your experience.
- Meet new people and help our inspirational runners to run harder and faster – they can’t do it without you.
Ready to apply?
If this role is for you, click the 'apply button' at the top of the page
At Cancer Research UK we value diversity and we're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures and believe that volunteers from diverse backgrounds will help us to beat cancer.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.