General Committee Member – Relay For Life – Yate
Apply right now!
Why we need you
Relay For Life is an overnight community event that celebrates cancer survivors, remembers those lost and rallies everyone to fight back so we can bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
Each Relay is a community-led, non-athletic event where teams set up camp and take it in turns to walk around a track for up to 24 hours to signify that ‘cancer never sleeps’.
Relay For Life generates £3 million in vital funds and through our research, we’ve helped double UK cancer survival over the last 40 years. These events are only made possible thanks to the dedication and skills of our brilliant volunteers, and we’re looking for more amazing people to join the team.
Relay For Life Yate helps generate lifesaving funds for cancer research in Bristol and the South West. These events are only made possible thanks to the dedication and skills of our brilliant volunteers, and we’re looking for more amazing people to join the team.
What will you be doing?
We need your passion and skills as part of a committee that will plan, organise and promote a Relay For Life event uniting your community in the fight against cancer. We’re looking for committed people who will represent Cancer Research UK and encourage fundraising throughout the year.
We need volunteers to:
- Increase cancer awareness in your local community
- Promote and publicise Relay For Life
- Organise entertainment and activities for the event
- Coordinate inspirational talks and presentations to bring the work of Cancer Research UK to your local community
The type of person we are looking for
Are you a team player with good communication skills, well networked with a local knowledge of your community? Do you love to socialise and meet people from all different backgrounds? We’re looking for organised, self-motivated people who have the ability to delegate and a genuine passion and enthusiasm for fundraising and the work of Cancer Research UK.
At Cancer Research UK we value diversity and we're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We will consider making any reasonable adjustments to support volunteer applications from people with a disability or health condition. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures and believe that volunteers from diverse backgrounds will help us to beat cancer.
What you can expect from Cancer Research UK
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow volunteers
- Advice on how to set up and promote a variety of fundraising events
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a huge, fun and inspiring event
- Development and support on your event management and leadership skills
How much time do you need to commit?
The time commitment you’ll give will depend on the role you choose. This is something to discuss with your Local Fundraising Manager and we will help you find the best way to help beat cancer sooner.
Please fill in our online application form.
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
Welcome to Volunteering booklet
We want you to get the most out of volunteering with us and feel supported. The Welcome to Volunteering booklet will give you an overview of everything you need to know about your time with us.