General Committee Member – Rainbow Relay - Brighton
Apply right now!
Relay For Life is a year round team fundraising effort which culminates in a celebratiory event in the summer to mark a year of fundraising and to bring supporters, fundraisers and the wider community together to celebrate, remember, and fight back.
With the message ‘Cancer Has No Colour’ we want to unite all communities throughout Brighton to bring the global fundraising event Relay For Life, to Brighton – with a twist.
We are recruiting for a team of enthusiastic volunteers to form this new fundraising group to develop Rainbow Relay Brighton from a concept, to an operational fundraising event. We are looking for passionate individuals of any age to bring your own unique skills, experience and ideas to the group to make Rainbow Relay a true trailblazer of its kind and raise vital funds for the life-saving research of Cancer Research UK.
Why we need you:
Bringing the vibrant, diverse and inclusive demographic of the Brighton community, we want to unite everyone in the common goal to beat cancer, a disease which transcends all boundaries including colour, gender, race and religion. Together, we can beat cancer and the exciting proposition of an event coming to Brighton needs YOUR support!
What will I be doing?
Roles within a Relay For Life Group typically include:
- Event Chairperson
- Event Vice Chairperson
- Media/Marketing Chairperson
- Team Recruitment Chairperson
- Survivorship and Awareness Chairperson.
- Group Member
If you are interested in being a part of this new group, please get in touch to discuss the possible roles and responsibilities and discover which one is right for you!
What skills do I need?
- You will have the time to dedicate at least 2 hours a week to your role, and a minimum of a day if you are the overall event Chairperson/Event Lead.
- A passion for helping us beat cancer sooner
- Previous charity fundraising or event management experience desirable but not essential.
What support will we give you?
- A full volunteer pack including branded clothing, ID badge and materials required to fulfil your role.
- A dedicated Local Fundraising Manager from CRUK to lead and support you in your role.
- Online and face to face training from your CRUK contact as well as materials and ideas from CRUK and wider Relay For Life network across the UK.
- Opportunity to shadow a current Relay For Life event group in their roles to learn processes and share ideas
- Invitation to Relay For Life Events taking place in 2019
- Tour of our Brighton research facility where you can meet our scientsits and doctors, funded by you, to see first hand the life saving work you are contributing toward.
- Invite to our annual Relay Expo in November where Relays from across the UK come together for a 24 celebration of achievement, sharing of ideas and successes and enjoyment of a dinner and entertainment which is also attended by key CRUK staff and science speakers to inspire and inform.
- You will receive a Guidance on areas such as accounts keeping, GDPR, Event management and health and safety/risk management depending on your role.
What benefits can I expect?
A clear list of what the volunteer will gain from the experience. For example:
- The opportunity to develop new and existing skills
- A chance to meet new people
- The satisfaction of knowing you are making a valuable contribution to Cancer Research UK
- Travel and other expenses, as agreed
- A unique insight into the world of Cancer Research UK and the charity sector
Where will I be based?
This role is home based, with meetings held in free community spaces each month or as frequently as is required. The planning of meetings and diary commitments is entirely at the discretion of the group as suits.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.