Event Volunteer - Relay for Life - Tees Valley
Apply right now!
Relay for Life is a local event that brings the community together to beat cancer sooner. Why not come along and experience this local family event which includes a Candle of Hope ceremony on the Saturday evening.
Relay For Life is an overnight community event that celebrates cancer survivors, remembers those lost and rallies everyone to fight back so we can bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
Teams have been fundraising all year round and come together to celebrate their efforts at Middlesbrough Sports Village on Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th September.
Each Relay is a community-led, non-athletic event where teams set up camp and take it in turns to walk around a track for up to 24 hours to signify that ‘cancer never sleeps’.
Relay For Life generates £3 million in vital funds and through our research, we’ve helped double UK cancer survival over the last 40 years.
Relay For Life Tees Valley helps generate lifesaving funds for cancer research in Newcastle and the North East. These events are only made possible thanks to the dedication and skills of our brilliant volunteers, and we’re looking for people to join the volunteer team to support them at the event.
If you would like to have a flavour of Relay For Life and get some inspiration for 2019, sign up and come along to meet other amazing volunteers.
Why we need you:
We rely on every lap, every pound and every volunteer to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured. This includes our event volunteers, who are essential in making sure Relay for Life runs smoothly over the weekend while supporting the volunteer committee at the same time.
Volunteer at this event and help us save lives. You can come along on the Friday night or Saturday morning or both and you’ll be helping us to raise vital funds for our pioneering, life-saving research right here in the North East.
Together we will beat cancer sooner.
What skills and attributes do I need to have?
- Lots of enthusiasm.
- Reliable and flexible.
- Confident with good interpersonal skills.
What will I be doing?
As one of our on the day Relay for Life volunteers, you could be:
- Helping to set up the site (no heavy lifting!)
- Putting out Cancer Research UK signs on site
- Welcoming teams on site.
- Registering participants as they arrive on site
- Encouraging teams to keep going!
- Helping to set up the Candle of Hope ceremony
What support will I be given?
- You will receive a thorough briefing about the event and your role, both in the lead up to the event and at the venue
- We’ll also provide you with snacks and on the day support through a Team Leader.
What benefits can I expect?
- The satisfaction of making a vital difference to the life-saving work of Cancer Research UK and helping us to beat cancer sooner.
- For anyone looking to get into events management or the charity sector, this is a great way to get an insight as to what’s involved at one of our events and also develop your experience.
- Meet new people and help us to ensure our inspirational supporters have the best day possible.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.