Event Volunteer - Big Hike - The Trossachs - 18th May 2024
Volunteer and help us take big steps to beat cancer!
Our research isn’t possible without volunteers like you.
People across the UK have committed to take big steps to beat cancer, but they can’t cross the finish line without your help. From giving directions and motivational pep talks, to making coffees and handing out medals, our Hike Experience Volunteers make our events the best they can be.
This year’s Big Hike is set to make over £2million for life-saving research. Join us, and let’s beat cancer together.
The kind of person we’re looking for
- We’re on the lookout for individuals and groups who are:
- Passionate about beating cancer
- Enthusiastic and willing to get stuck in.
- Team players – you’ll be joining a lovely bunch of other volunteers!
- Happy to have a chat
At Cancer Research UK we value diversity. We're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures and believe that a diverse volunteer community will help us to beat cancer.
What you'll be doing
As a Hike Experience Volunteer, you’ll be helping us make our hikers day the best that it can be. You’ll be the friendly face that our hikers see at the start, finish or at a pit-stop. You’ll be handing out refreshments, offering words of encouragement and cheering our hikers on the finish. You could also be handing out that all important medal at the finish and enjoying that final sense of achievement.
You’ll be fully supported by the wider team and always be working with others. You’ll be out in the great outdoors, taking in some of the UK’s best scenery.
How we’ll look after you
We want you to have the best experience at our Big Hike events and ensure you get the most of out of it. We will;
- Cover your travel, accommodation and other reasonable expenses, as agreed with your Event Manager (please see our Volunteering Policy)
- Be in contact in the lead up to the day so you know what to expect
- Give you a full briefing on arrival
- Support and guide you throughout the day
- Provide meals and snacks as appropriate
- Help you develop new, or build on existing, skills in Event Management
- Give you unique insight into the world of the charity sector
- Help you meet new people and give you a day to remember
Your Commitment and Location
Cancer Research UK’s Big Hike events will take place in the following locations in 2024:
- The Trossachs – Saturday 18th May 2024
- Peak District National Park – Saturday 8th June 2024
- Brecon Beacons – Saturday 15th June 2024
- The South Coast - Saturday 29th June 2024
- Cotswolds – Saturday 6th July 2024
- Jurassic Coast - Saturday 13th July 2024
You can join us at one or more of our events at locations which work for you.
Our volunteering roles are open for everyone however given the locations and terrain of our Big Hikes, if you have any accessibility needs or queries, please get in touch via email - email@example.com
If you have any questions about this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready to apply?
In 2024 we are looking to fit volunteers into the following shifts:
- Morning shift: 06:00 - 13:00
- Extended morning shift: 06:00 – 15:00
- Day shift: 08:00 - 15:00
- Extended day shift: 10:00-18:00
- Afternoon shift: 13:00 - 20:00
On your application form in the ‘Application details’ section, please indicate which shift time you would be able to commit to.
If you'd like to join our crew of Big Hike volunteers, just click on the Apply Now link at the top of the page, fill out the form and we’ll be in touch.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.